[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Need sources or info on creating Macwrite documents

cole@sas.UUCP (Tom Cole) (03/30/89)

We would like to have the ability to create word processing documents from
within our applications.  Almost all word processors and page layout
programs seem to understand Macwrite format files, so that seems like a
logical choice.

There is a now-obsolete tech note describing the formats of the disk-based
and memory-based versions of pre-Version 5.0 Macwrite files.  This is now
marked as "technology transfered to Claris" with the attendant shrug from
Apple when questions are asked.

The tech note seems to raise many more questions that it answers.  We need
to be able to put text and pictures into a file, and we would like to do
it without re-writing Macwrite :-).  Does anyone have or know of public
domain programs in source form that successfully create a text-and-pictures
Macwrite document?  Alternatively, does anyone know of a source of info
about the file format, other than Claris?  We are hoping to solve this
problem in a short time, and don't want to fiddle with licensing technology,
etc. if we can help it, since activating the legal departments of any two
corporations seems to automatically add 3 months to the time it takes
to get anything done.....

Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance...

Tom Cole
SAS Institute

Opinions are for those who are afraid of facts.  Me?  I have LOTS
of opinions....

mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark B. Johnson) (03/30/89)

In article <987@sas.UUCP> cole@sas.UUCP (Tom Cole) writes:

>There is a now-obsolete tech note describing the formats of the disk-based
>and memory-based versions of pre-Version 5.0 Macwrite files.  This is now
>marked as "technology transfered to Claris" with the attendant shrug from
>Apple when questions are asked.

If you take the time to ask, you can get the Tech Note from Claris Tech
Support directly.  They have revised and updated all the Notes which were
once included in Apple's list.

Mark B. Johnson                                            AppleLink: mjohnson
Developer Technical Support                         domain: mjohnson@Apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.         UUCP:  {amdahl,decwrl,sun,unisoft}!apple!mjohnson

"You gave your life to become the person you are right now.  Was it worth it?"
                                                         - Richard Bach, _One_

ted@hpwrce.HP.COM ( Ted Johnson) (03/31/89)

>If you take the time to ask, you can get the Tech Note from Claris Tech
>Support directly.  They have revised and updated all the Notes which were
>once included in Apple's list.

Do you know if they are keen on e-mail?
How about posting the once-Apple-now-Claris Tech Notes to
comp.binaries.mac?

Ted Johnson
HP-UX Technical Support
Hewlett-Packard

mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark B. Johnson) (04/01/89)

In article <7430010@hpwrce.HP.COM> ted@hpwrce.HP.COM ( Ted Johnson) writes:
>>If you take the time to ask, you can get the Tech Note from Claris Tech
>>Support directly.  They have revised and updated all the Notes which were
>>once included in Apple's list.
>
>Do you know if they are keen on e-mail?
>How about posting the once-Apple-now-Claris Tech Notes to
>comp.binaries.mac?

I've only got paper copies of these Notes.  How about it folks, think you
could post the disk files (or send them to the archive sites) when you
recover from your move?