[comp.sys.mac.programmer] The USENET Macintosh Programmer's Guide

jnh@ece-csc.UUCP (Joseph Nathan Hall) (03/18/89)

OK, judging from the responses thus far, I am confident that this thing
CAN fly ...  I've heard from several people who are willing to contribute
and a larger number who are willing (eager?) to "test" the material.

I would like to solicit draft submissions.  Here are the proposed terms:

The UMPG will be PUBLIC DOMAIN.  There will be no copyrights and any and
all material may be reprinted or reused for any purpose whatsoever.  Authors
agree to relinquish all rights to the material submitted upon the final
distribution of the UMPG to the net.  (Until that time, they will retain
all rights to their text and source code.)  All authors will be credited as
accurately as possible.  We will do this project as a public service to
Macintosh programmers, whether they be amateurs or professionals.

If anyone disagrees with these proposed terms, or would care to comment on
them, PLEASE E-MAIL your remarks to me.  I will dutifully summarize and post
them.

For now, though, please include any appropriate copyright notice in your
submissions.  I will respect them and include them in any distribution of
the material for review.

Particular areas of interest are:

	* a basic event loop structure (Pascal and "C" source is a must!)
	* "C" vs. Pascal, particularly declarations of callback routines
	  (scroll tracking, etc.) and code resources (?DEF functions and
	  others)
	* how to do Mac file I/O, including startup files, file save/load,
	  examples of how to set file creator, type, etc.
	* how to set up application and document icons
	* how to print something
	* how to methodically handle menu highlighting/dimming/item
	  replacement when windows are activated/deactivated--a general-
	  purpose approach is greatly needed here
	* source code for popup menus
	* source code for hierarchical menus (this one isn't too hard)
	* source code (including an INIT) for tearoff menus, if anyone
	  has this
	* source code for a WDEF (does anyone have that circular window
	  WDEF around still?  is it public domain?)
	* source code for a modular text editor that is more powerful
	  than TextEdit--including tab support, multiple styles, etc.
	  Wouldn't have to be as complex as even old MacWrite but should
	  be enough to support, say, an editor for program text.  Maybe
	  we could rewrite and/or extend the LightSpeed MiniEdit example.
	* event loop programming in general as it relates to both the
	  Mac environment and other environments (X, for example)
	* any resource editing/building tools that are really effective
	* a set of meaningful programming standards--NOT just a set of
	  rules for indenting and capitalizing programs.  Ideally everything
	  will be written/re-written to comply with this.
	* comparisons between the different "C" environments (mainly MPW
	  and LSC) and the different Pascal environments (ditto).
	* notes for BASIC programmers (yes, there are a bunch of these!)
	* a set of useful MIDI drivers/low-level code and documentation

...and I'm sure there's more that would be useful.

I would envision distributing the Guide (whenever it's in a more-or-less
final draft form) in binhexed MS Word format.  MacWrite is a possiblity,
too, but it seems to me that Word has probably become an acceptable lowest
common denominator.  Again, email your comments to me.  Perhaps a plain
text version could be distributed as well.

E-MAIL submissions and comments to me.  I will summarize and post comments,
and will note submissions.

I will be preparing two mailing lists, one for submitters and one for
reviewers.  Please indicate which you would like to be on.  Submitters will
get everything sent to reviewers, so it will make no sense to be on both.
I would anticipate a delay of about one-two weeks before I start mailing
out stuff.

This was posted to comp.sys.mac so that everyone could see it.  Please send
followups (if you can't e-mail instead) to comp.sys.mac.programmer, so we can
spare the users and hardware guys.

I look forward to working on and submitting to this project, and I
appreciate the support I have gotten so far.

--
v   v sssss|| joseph hall                      || 201-1D Hampton Lee Court
 v v s   s || jnh@ece-csc.ncsu.edu (Internet)  || Cary, NC  27511

mfi@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Mark Interrante) (03/18/89)

In article <3966@ece-csc.UUCP> jnh@ece-csc.UUCP (Joseph Nathan Hall) writes:

 >Particular areas of interest are:
 >
 >	* a basic event loop structure (Pascal and "C" source is a must!)
 [...]
 >	* a set of useful MIDI drivers/low-level code and documentation
 >
 >...and I'm sure there's more that would be useful.

 I think we should begin talking about other interesting pieces of code that
 would belong in such a system.

 In addition to a simple text editor, I would like to see a simple drawing
 program.  Nothing special just  draw, drag, select,modify rectangles and a
 simple pallete.

 Also some information on writing serial drivers.

 The proper use of regions.

 These are just  a few ideas.

Mark Interrante   		  Software Engineering Research Center
mfi@beach.cis.ufl.edu		  CIS Department, University of Florida 32611
"X is just raster-op on wheels" - Bill Joy, January 1987

zuhn@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU (David D "Zoo" Zuhn) (03/18/89)

In article <3966@ece-csc.UUCP> jnh@ece-csc.UUCP (Joseph Nathan Hall) writes:

>I would envision distributing the Guide (whenever it's in a more-or-less
>final draft form) in binhexed MS Word format.  MacWrite is a possiblity,
>too, but it seems to me that Word has probably become an acceptable lowest
>common denominator.  Again, email your comments to me.  Perhaps a plain
>text version could be distributed as well.
>
>--
>v   v sssss|| joseph hall                      || 201-1D Hampton Lee Court
> v v s   s || jnh@ece-csc.ncsu.edu (Internet)  || Cary, NC  27511
>  v   sss  || the opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of my
>-----------|| employer, north carolina state university . . . . . . . . . . .

The common denominator among all programmers is TEXT files. Many people do
NOT like to use MS word for many reasons.  Let plain ascii text files be
the major medium here.  That way it is accessible in any of the popular
packages (just open up McSink or a edit window in MPW/LS[PC] etc).

David D "Zoo" Zuhn //    University of Minnesota      \\ Twin Cities
          Computer Science Systems Consultant, EE/CS 4-204
zuhn@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu,    zuhn@umn-cs.UUCP,   ..rutgers!umn-cs!zuhn

-Cheshire-@cup.portal.com (Gary Edward Learned) (03/19/89)

As long as we are throwing things out here, what has been really lacking
are examples of data entry methods, including both modeless dialogs,
and scrolling windows, which have entry points scattered throughout (i.e.
the filling in of a form).

           -- And remember the old adage...Everything you know is wrong
              Gary

-Cheshire-@cup.portal.com (Gary Edward Learned) (03/19/89)

If there is interest, I would be willing to develop alongside a
Hypercard version of the guide.  There would be several advantages to
having this format as well, especially if it is done right.

Anyone have thoughts?

arwall@athena.mit.edu (Chumley Wood) (03/19/89)

I would add to the list of useful topics:

	Example code for VBL tasks.
| Anders Wallgren           Back by popular demand:			|
| arwall@athena.mit.edu           Bush-Noriega '88 - A Crack Team!      |

In article <11647@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU>, zuhn@umn-cs (David D "Zoo" Zuhn) writes:

>The common denominator among all programmers is TEXT files. Many people do
>NOT like to use MS word for many reasons.  Let plain ascii text files be
>the major medium here.  That way it is accessible in any of the popular
>packages (just open up McSink or a edit window in MPW/LS[PC] etc).

I agree that the most used medium is text files, but in the interest
of readability and presentation some more aesthetic format is
desirable.  For those not fortunate enough to have MS-Word or access
to laser printers, it would be nice to maintain a plain version, as
stipulated in earlier postings.

It might be a good idea to have the code segments available for ftp on
the major archives.

anders

trebor@biar.UUCP (Robert J Woodhead) (03/19/89)

In article <9937@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> arwall@athena.mit.edu (Chumley Wood) writes:
>In article <11647@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU>, zuhn@umn-cs (David D "Zoo" Zuhn) writes:
>>The common denominator among all programmers is TEXT files.

The lowest common denominator, yes.

>I agree that the most used medium is text files, but in the interest
>of readability and presentation some more aesthetic format is
>desirable.

Also true.  Why not Macwrite?  I've yet to run across a Mac that didn't
have a copy of Macwrite.  But I'd estimate only 15-20% of Mac users have
Word.  _I_ certainly don't.

--
* Robert J Woodhead * The true meaning of life is cunningly encrypted and *
* uunet!biar!trebor * hidden somewhere in this signature...               *

trebor@biar.UUCP (Robert J Woodhead) (03/20/89)

In article <3969@ece-csc.UUCP> jnh@ece-csc.UUCP (Joseph Nathan Hall) writes:
>1) Copyright.  Several of you have suggested copyrighting the Guide in one
>form or another, ostensibly to prevent commercial exploitation.  I'll admit
>I haven't given this issue exhaustive thought, but I would rather NOT see
>it copyrighted.  In particular, programming examples and/or modules
>distributed with the Guide should be available for ANY use whatsoever.

Copyright gives _you_ _control_ of what is done with the work.  You just
clearly specify "You can do this, this and this;  you cannot do this; and
if you want to do something we haven't listed, you must get written
permission from us."  Of course, see a lawyer to get the words right.

--
* Robert J Woodhead * The true meaning of life is cunningly encrypted and *
* uunet!biar!trebor * hidden somewhere in this signature...               *
* Biar Games, Inc.  *                       ...no, go back and look again *

ted@hpwrce.HP.COM ( Ted Johnson) (03/20/89)

I vote for MacWrite as the common denominator.

Other neat-o topics to cover:

-how to talk to the serial port (e.g., a simple modem-dialing program)
-an AppleTalk demo

-Ted

ech@pegasus.ATT.COM (Edward C Horvath) (03/20/89)

From article <396@biar.UUCP>, by trebor@biar.UUCP (Robert J Woodhead):
> Copyright gives _you_ _control_ of what is done with the work.  You just
> clearly specify "You can do this, this and this;  you cannot do this; and
> if you want to do something we haven't listed, you must get written
> permission from us."  Of course, see a lawyer to get the words right.

And to be brutally specific, Copyright precludes ANYONE ELSE from slapping
a copyright on the work.  Without one, I can copyright the work and demand
that YOU pay ME royalties for use.  Again, ask a lawyer for specifics.

=Ned Horvath=

jnh@ece-csc.UUCP (Joseph Nathan Hall) (03/21/89)

In article <2708@pegasus.ATT.COM> ech@pegasus.ATT.COM (Edward C Horvath) writes:

>And to be brutally specific, Copyright precludes ANYONE ELSE from slapping
>a copyright on the work.  Without one, I can copyright the work and demand
>that YOU pay ME royalties for use.  Again, ask a lawyer for specifics.

True, you can publish PD material and cover it with an anthology copyright,
but so far as I understand it you can't keep someone else from doing
exactly the same thing (in a different anthology).  Right?

--

bayes@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Scott Bayes) (03/21/89)

>I vote for MacWrite as the common denominator.

I agree. Everything ever made (it seems) imports MacWrite. I've received
MS-Word files I've just had to trash, 'cause they're in a version I don't
speak. I've never had that happen with MacWrite.

Also, I think plain text as the only option sux wind through a straw. So
many explanations require graphics for good understanding (that last sentence
could probably have used a hearty dose ;-) Make text-only available as an
alternative for the poor-of-spirit, or other underprivileged, but have
MacWrite as the main format.

>Other neat-o topics to cover:
>
>-how to talk to the serial port (e.g., a simple modem-dialing program)
>-an AppleTalk demo
>
>-Ted

Minimalist display updating. How do I do a fast update when I see an InvalRect?

Scott Bayes

mcdonald@fornax.UUCP (Ken Mcdonald) (03/21/89)

[various referenes and other stuff deleted]
> >>The common denominator among all programmers is TEXT files.
>
> The lowest common denominator, yes.
>
> >I agree that the most used medium is text files, but in the interest
> >of readability and presentation some more aesthetic format is
> >desirable.
>
> Also true.  Why not Macwrite?  I've yet to run across a Mac that didn't
> have a copy of Macwrite.  But I'd estimate only 15-20% of Mac users have
> Word.  _I_ certainly don't.

Forgive me if I'm not entirely up to date on wht the UMPG is to be, I missed
the first messages about it...but I think I've got the gist.

Given the resources available to the UseNet in general, why not write a little
application (a DA, perhaps?) to display the manual in styled TextEdit--for
sure the author of that wouldn't mind if his code was adapted to this use.  One
could also put in an organizational hierarchy, simply through the use of HFS
folders, which would then allow a user to customize it to their preferences
(so the info they use the most is easiest to get to) just by moving files.
Later, an index generator could be added, or other things.  Given the breadth
of programming talent available on the UseNet (a category into which I, sadly,
do not yet fall), it would seem reasonable to make use of some of this talent,
it is willing.

Ken McDonald

mcdonald@fornax.UUCP (Ken Mcdonald) (03/21/89)

In article <2708@pegasus.ATT.COM>, ech@pegasus.ATT.COM (Edward C Horvath) writes:
> In article <3969@ece-csc.UUCP> jnh@ece-csc.UUCP (Joseph Nathan Hall) writes:
> >1) Copyright.  Several of you have suggested copyrighting the Guide in one
> >form or another, ostensibly to prevent commercial exploitation.  I'll admit
> >I haven't given this issue exhaustive thought, but I would rather NOT see
> >it copyrighted.  In particular, programming examples and/or modules
> >distributed with the Guide should be available for ANY use whatsoever.
>
> From article <396@biar.UUCP>, by trebor@biar.UUCP (Robert J Woodhead):
> > Copyright gives _you_ _control_ of what is done with the work.  You just
> > clearly specify "You can do this, this and this;  you cannot do this; and
> > if you want to do something we haven't listed, you must get written
> > permission from us."  Of course, see a lawyer to get the words right.
>
> And to be brutally specific, Copyright precludes ANYONE ELSE from slapping
> a copyright on the work.  Without one, I can copyright the work and demand
> that YOU pay ME royalties for use.  Again, ask a lawyer for specifics.
>
> =Ned Horvath=

Not quite true, I think.  (Correct me if I'm wrong.)  Work placed in the public
domain can never after be copyrighted by ANYONE--including the original author.
A work does not have to be EXPLICITLY placed in the public domain for this to
apply; a company which does not take action to protect its copyrighted
materials may later find that a court declares them to be in the public domain
(one of the reasons companies MUST prosecute people who flagrantly violate
copyright, even if they would prefer not to), and in the case of a work such
as the UMPG, I strongly suspect that just releasing it, with no restrictions
or declarations at all, would effectively place it in the public domain.

Ken McDonald

PS A big advantage of copyrighting something like this is it means no one
can come up with a "renegade" version of the guide.  A disadvantage is that
people who might come up with a good variation now have to go through you,
increasing the workload all way round.  A possible solution might be to
copyright it, state that the guide and any modified versions may be freely
distributed, but that any version which is not an "approved" version must
state so clearly and obviously.

In article <929@fornax.UUCP>, mcdonald@fornax.UUCP (Ken Mcdonald) writes:

> application (a DA, perhaps?) to display the manual in styled TextEdit--for
> sure the author of that wouldn't mind if his code was adapted to this use.  One

On one of my more recent postings, in addition to the usual typos and left-out
words, a line seems to have gone astray.  Between the two above lines was a
line noting the existence of a nice LSP source file for topical help on sumex,
and a statement to the effect that I thought the author of the could would not
mind if his code were adapted for use in the UseNet Mac manual.  My apologies for
this transmission error.

Ken McDonald

julian@riacs.edu (Julian E Gomez) (03/22/89)

"
" Also, I think plain text as the only option sux wind through a straw. So
" many explanations require graphics for good understanding (that last sentence
" could probably have used a hearty dose ;-) Make text-only available as an
" alternative for the poor-of-spirit, or other underprivileged, but have
" MacWrite as the main format.

Instead of coming up with yet another file format, why not just use
TeachText? It's not well known, but TeachText files can have PICTs
in them. The mechanism is somewhat silly, but at least everybody
has [access to] TeachText, definitely more so than MacWrite.  The
way Claris is taking MacWrite means that it won't be universal in
the near future.

--
"Have you ever wondered if taxation without representation was cheaper?"

	Julian "a tribble took it" Gomez
	julian@riacs.edu

pratt@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Jonathan Pratt) (03/22/89)

In article <931@fornax.UUCP> mcdonald@fornax.UUCP (Ken Mcdonald) writes:
>words, a line seems to have gone astray.  Between the two above lines was a
>line noting the existence of a nice LSP source file for topical help on sumex,
                                ^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^ ^^^^
It's ironic that this particular piece of code should be mentioned.  In the
recent survey on the proposed programming guide I opined that it's a good
idea provided code like that could be avoided!  I ended up spending more
time tracking down the bugs in that than if I had written an equivalent
from scratch.  Among other things, the topical help code: doesn't dispose
of the TEHandle when it's through, doesn't keep ModalDialog from pro-
cessing mouseDowns after topical help has already used them, doesn't
update properly, declares unused globals, etc.  I have another list
of philisophical disagreements, but these are opinion related things,
such as checking for insufficient memory, supporting pre-Styled Text
edit, and only using one global to reduce demands on the host.

Don't get me wrong - I think more souce code should be posted, but I
believe it should a little better tested than that apparently was.
BTW, if the original author would give permission, I would be happy
to post the version I rewrote.  Another thing that annoyed me about
topical help was the authors reference to "my other program," uWrite.
This program would be useful for creating styled text, but no mention
was made of how to obtain it (Free? PD? Shareware? Commercial? where?)
Anyway, I ended up writing a DA that grabs styled text from the clipboard
so I could use Draw II or Works II.  If anyone else needs a TEXT/styl
scrap to Resource file DA, let me know and I will upload.

Jonathan

/* Jonathan Pratt          Internet: pratt@boulder.colorado.edu     *
 * Campus Box 525              uucp: ..!{ncar|nbires}!boulder!pratt *
 * University of Colorado                                           *
 * Boulder, CO 80309          Phone: (303) 492-4293                 */

bradn@tekig4.LEN.TEK.COM (Bradford Needham) (03/22/89)

In article <2708@pegasus.ATT.COM> ech@pegasus.ATT.COM (Edward C Horvath) writes:
>Without [a copyright], I can copyright the work and demand
>that YOU pay ME royalties for use.

A non-copyrighted published work cannot be copyrighted.

But someone can do this to a public-domain work:
They can create a derivative work, copyright that, and charge royalties
for it.  The original work is still public-domain -- they can't charge
anyone royalties for possessing a copy of the original work.

Interestingly enough, a similar thing happened to the GNU version of Yacc:
There was once a public domain parser-generator, called Bison.
The GNU folks modified it, then slapped their own copyright on the modified
work.  Bison (the original work) is still public domain, free of the
Free Software Foundation restrictions.

For more information, please read "The Copyright Book" published by MIT press.

Brad Needham
bradn@tekig4.TEK.COM

stone@hydra.unm.edu (Andrew Stone CS.DEPT) (03/22/89)

	Remember the effort spearheaded a year or so ago to do a team
	project? I believe some folks from the Well or 'Lectronic Link
	were involved. How did this project fare? That is, maybe we
	should bake the cake before we argue over who gets what!

	andrew

CXT105@PSUVM.BITNET (Christopher Tate) (03/23/89)

Another issue that needs clarification:  will submissions only be taken from
people on the submissions list, or can Joe Programmer send in his ideas for
some nifty way of handling things, too?

(I may not be slick, but sometimes things work....)

-------
Christopher Tate                  |  I hate writing, and I hate statistics,
cxt105@psuvm.psu.edu              |  but most of all I hate writing about
...!psuvax1!psuvm.bitnet!cxt105   |  statistics.  I'd rather go to the
cxt105@psuvm.bitnet               |  dentist; at least there you get to spit.

bayes@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Scott Bayes) (03/23/89)

>Instead of coming up with yet another file format, why not just use
>TeachText? It's not well known, but TeachText files can have PICTs
>in them. The mechanism is somewhat silly, but at least everybody
>has [access to] TeachText, definitely more so than MacWrite.  The
>way Claris is taking MacWrite means that it won't be universal in
>the near future.

BUT! The existing MacWrite format is immutable. And a bazoollion programs
already read that existing format. As will no doubt MacWrite version 129.3,
when it comes out.

Don't you have to do something perverted to get PICTs into TeachText?!?

>--
>"Have you ever wondered if taxation without representation was cheaper?"
>
>	Julian "a tribble took it" Gomez
>	julian@riacs.edu

Scott Bayes
"The tribble left it at my desk. Drop by some day."

jnh@ece-csc.UUCP (Joseph Nathan Hall) (03/23/89)

In article <77312CXT105@PSUVM> CXT105@PSUVM.BITNET (Christopher Tate) writes:
>Another issue that needs clarification:  will submissions only be taken from
>people on the submissions list, or can Joe Programmer send in his ideas for
>some nifty way of handling things, too?

I'll take submissions from anyone and everyone.  But you'd be better off on
the submitter's list, since that's where the latest list of 1) what's
available, 2) what's being written, and 3) what needs to be written will
be.  Also that's where the latest submission guidelines/standards will
be send.

>(I may not be slick, but sometimes things work....)

I've found that there are MANY aspects of Mac programming that aren't
inherently slick.  Not even slick with some effort.

--

jamesm@sco.COM (James M. Moore) (03/25/89)

In article <9937@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> arwall@athena.mit.edu (Chumley Wood) writes:
>I agree that the most used medium is text files, but in the interest
>of readability and presentation some more aesthetic format is
>desirable.  For those not fortunate enough to have MS-Word or access
>to laser printers, it would be nice to maintain a plain version, as
>stipulated in earlier postings.

Please make sure all examples are available in TEXT.  Downloading
something at 2400 baud from xenix to my mac is frustrating - I'd
rather just print it on the lasers here at work.  I would suspect that
many people are in the same situation (Mac not actually on the net,
and downloads go over some slow modem connection).

--
** James Moore **
** Internet:  jamesm@sco.com **

julian@riacs.edu (Julian E Gomez) (03/27/89)

In article <11550007@hpfcdc.HP.COM> bayes@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Scott Bayes) writes:
" >Instead of coming up with yet another file format, why not just use
" >TeachText? It's not well known, but TeachText files can have PICTs
" >in them. The mechanism is somewhat silly, but at least everybody
" >has [access to] TeachText, definitely more so than MacWrite.  The
" >way Claris is taking MacWrite means that it won't be universal in
" >the near future.
" BUT! The existing MacWrite format is immutable. And a bazoollion programs
" already read that existing format. As will no doubt MacWrite version 129.3,
" when it comes out.

I realize that any reasonable word processor will import MacWrite
files. The difference between all of them and TeachText is that
TeachText is free and comes with the system software as well as much
commercial software.

" Don't you have to do something perverted to get PICTs into TeachText?!?
Not perverted, just silly :-)

--
"Have you ever wondered if taxation without representation was cheaper?"

	Julian "a tribble took it" Gomez
	julian@riacs.edu

jnh@ece-csc.UUCP (Joseph Nathan Hall) (04/03/89)

(Whew ... wish I got this much mail at home!)

I'm going to comment on a couple of issues that have cropped up frequently
in replies to my earlier postings about the UMPG.  I'm not posting summaries
yet, but will do so as soon as I figure I've gotten the first "wave" of
replies (three or four more days?).

1) Copyright.  Several of you have suggested copyrighting the Guide in one
form or another, ostensibly to prevent commercial exploitation.  I'll admit
I haven't given this issue exhaustive thought, but I would rather NOT see
it copyrighted.  In particular, programming examples and/or modules
distributed with the Guide should be available for ANY use whatsoever.
If someone wants to pop them into his/her commercial application, so be it.
I also doubt that a publisher is likely to put a lot of effort into
reprinting a PD work that is also available for free (or for copying
costs), thus I'm not really worried that the Guide might be reprinted by
an unscrupulous author/publisher.

The example I DON'T want to follow is that of the FSF.  Use of GNU products is
severely restricted in industry and commercial-academic applications because
of the FSF licensing agreement.  Although I don't disagree with the ideals
espoused by Richard Stallman and the FSF (...or at least, I admire them),
the restriction to not-for-profit use has unpleasant side effects that any of
us who are working on projects that are even potentially marketable find
difficult to appreciate.  I would rather follow the example of Paul Dobois
and TransSkel, and just let the chips fall where they may.

Please continue to mail me comments on this issue.  If you have any specific
suggestions about copyrighting, and in particular what you think the
consequences of either copyrighting or not copyrighting might be, please
illuminate me with them.

2) Distribution.  I suggest MS Word and plain text.  LaTeX would be nice,
too, but don't look to me for the conversion.  Again, I think MacWrite is
too underpowered, and no other WP software is as commonly used as these
two packages.

3) Editing/Organization.  The topic-by-topic approach is by far your favorite.
I can and will put together an amended list of topics, and will post it
in a few days.  I will happily take on the chores of organizing, proofreading
and copyediting so far as my schedule permits.  I was almost an English
major once (before fiscal reality set in), and I enjoy writing (even attended
the Clarion Science Fiction Writing Workshop at MSU in 1985), so I feel that
I can do a good job of this.  (My copyediting corrections will be limited to
Strunk & White-type things, and I will NOT bicker over an author's style,
even if I really don't like it.)

In addition, everyone on the reviewer's list will be invited to contribute
comments, corrections, and revisions.  The list is shaping up nicely, and
includes everyone from beginning Mac programmers to professional Mac
applications programmers.

As far as the delegation of tasks goes, well, let's keep this informal, in
the ad hoc USENET spirit of things.  (At least for now.)  For now, just
tell me who you are and what you want to do; if you have any code and/or
articles already written, please send them now!  I'll organize whatever I
get in the way of submissions and mail it to reviewers in a few days if I
have enough.  We'll introduce greater structure later if it's required.

4) Industry/Organization Contacts.  At the least, I'd like to find liasons
at BCS, BMUG and Apple.  (Add Think, Claris and Microsoft, too.)
I need people who can assemble technical information and/or programming
examples and clear it for reprinting (with or without copyright).

That's all for now, folks.  Next update in a day or two ...