[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Usenet Programmers Guide

paul@diemen.cc.utas.oz (Paul Stevenson) (03/30/89)

All this talk about MacWrite vs plain text vs ...

Why not use Hypercard?
  Its free with every new mac.
  It allows the combination of text and graphics
  AND it lets you launch sample programs to demonstrate the code displayed in
    the HyperCard fields.

Unless I've missed something HyperCard seems pretty much perfect for this sort
of guide.

Paul Stevenson,
Computing Centre, University of Tasmania, GPO Box 252C, Hobart, Tasmania. 7001

ACSnet: paul@diemen.cc.utas.oz
ARPA: paul%diemen.cc.utas.oz@uunet.uu.net
UUCP: {enea,hplabs,mcvax,uunet,ukc}!munnari!diemen.cc.utas.oz!paul
SPEARNET: paul@utas.edu.au

jnh@ece-csc.UUCP (Joseph Nathan Hall) (04/01/89)

In article <441@diemen.cc.utas.oz> paul@diemen.cc.utas.oz (Paul Stevenson) writes:

>All this talk about MacWrite vs plain text vs ...
>
>Why not use Hypercard?
>  Its free with every new mac.
So is TeachText.  And everyone has a text editor ...

>  It allows the combination of text and graphics
So does TeachText, so does MacWrite, so does Word, etc.

>  AND it lets you launch sample programs to demonstrate the code displayed in
>    the HyperCard fields.

Sure, if you've got 5 Meg of Ram ...

>Unless I've missed something HyperCard seems pretty much perfect for this sort
>of guide.

Sorry to seem cynical, but HyperCard seems much less perfect to me than
a simple printed reference manual.  A reference manual doesn't eat up
a precious 1/2 - 1 Meg of RAM, you can read it AND your application's
source at the same time,  you can read it without turning your Mac on,
you can make copies of it without a printer, etc. ...

Sure, a HyperCard version will probably exist, and it may very well be
an effective way to present the Guide.  But, frankly, I side with Isaac
Asimov and all the other folks who think that the printed page will be
hard to replace.
--
v   v sssss|| joseph hall                      || 201-1D Hampton Lee Court
 v v s   s || jnh@ece-csc.ncsu.edu (Internet)  || Cary, NC  27511

-Cheshire-@cup.portal.com (Gary Edward Learned) (04/05/89)

I was the original one that suggested a Hypercard format, and offered
to produce it.  I meant it only as an additional method however, to
supplement, not replace a bound version.  Ideally, the Word with index
and outline style table of contents seems like the best format.