[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Hey APDA! Where are my %$#&*@ tech notes?

eacj@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Julian Vrieslander) (04/02/89)

I am signed on to automatically receive Tech Notes from APDA, but I have
yet to receive the November 88 release.  Has anyone else gotten them?  I
believe that these notes were distributed to the electronic networks
months ago, but I figured that obtaining them from APDA would save me the
trouble of downloading and printing them.  Wrong.

I have called APDA a couple of times and they say that the mailing is in
preparation.  As of last week, they were estimating shipment in another
month.

I had hoped that Apple's absorption of APDA would end the botched orders
and snail-like turnaround provided by the previous management.  Maybe they
need time to fix the mess, but I find it hard to understand what could be
so difficult about mailing out TNs.  When Apple needs to send out a press
release, or a notice of a price increase to its dealers, I bet it doesn't
take five months.
--
Julian Vrieslander
Neurobiology & Behavior, W250 Mudd Hall, Cornell University, Ithaca NY 14853

henry@chinet.chi.il.us (Henry C. Schmitt) (04/05/89)

In article <7659@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> eacj@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Julian Vrieslander) writes:
>I am signed on to automatically receive Tech Notes from APDA, but I have
>yet to receive the November 88 release.  Has anyone else gotten them?  I
>believe that these notes were distributed to the electronic networks
>months ago, but I figured that obtaining them from APDA would save me the
>trouble of downloading and printing them.  Wrong.
>--
>Julian Vrieslander

I haven't received all of the 1988 Tech Notes either!  I called the
old APDA in January and they said "Apple never sent them to us!"
Then I called Apple APDA, they say "About half the people didn't get
them.  It won't happen again."  So I ordered the 1989 Tech Notes.

Have I received the Feb. 1989 Tech Notes?  Ha!  I wish!  I think
Apple better get on the ball an get those Tech Notes out to us.
Obviously they don't care too much for the folks who don't shell out
the $600 to become an "Apple Partner" or whatever.

Hey Apple are you listening??  How about throwing in the Revised
Tech Notes from March 1988 as well to make up for the problems
you've caused?  By the way my APDA id. is 41134.  Get with it!!
--
  H3nry C. Schmitt     | CompuServe: 72275,1456  (Rarely)
 Royal Inn of Yoruba   | UUCP: Henry@chinet.chi.il.us  (Best Bet)

mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark B. Johnson) (04/05/89)

In article <8119@chinet.chi.il.us> henry@chinet.chi.il.us (Henry C. Schmitt) writes:
>In article <7659@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> eacj@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Julian Vrieslander) writes:
>>I am signed on to automatically receive Tech Notes from APDA, but I have
>>yet to receive the November 88 release.  Has anyone else gotten them?  I
>>believe that these notes were distributed to the electronic networks
>>months ago, but I figured that obtaining them from APDA would save me the
>>trouble of downloading and printing them.  Wrong.
>
>I haven't received all of the 1988 Tech Notes either!  I called the
>old APDA in January and they said "Apple never sent them to us!"
>Then I called Apple APDA, they say "About half the people didn't get
>them.  It won't happen again."  So I ordered the 1989 Tech Notes.
>
>Have I received the Feb. 1989 Tech Notes?  Ha!  I wish!  I think
>Apple better get on the ball an get those Tech Notes out to us.
>Obviously they don't care too much for the folks who don't shell out
>the $600 to become an "Apple Partner" or whatever.
>
>Hey Apple are you listening??  How about throwing in the Revised
>Tech Notes from March 1988 as well to make up for the problems
>you've caused?  By the way my APDA id. is 41134.  Get with it!!

Whoa boy.  Apple does care, and the Notes were passed from my hands to the
product manager then who knows where a long time ago.  I just spoke with the
product manager (as I gave him the April 1989 Notes and Tech Note Stack)
and he is trying to change the duplication process to streamline it and
get the time down to something reasonable.  There are some people working
on it, but if you really want your complaints to be heard (and I would if
I were shelling out that kind of money to APDA for my Notes) contact APDA
directly and let them know.

Mark B. Johnson                                            AppleLink: mjohnson
Developer Technical Support                         domain: mjohnson@Apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.         UUCP:  {amdahl,decwrl,sun,unisoft}!apple!mjohnson

"You gave your life to become the person you are right now.  Was it worth it?"
                                                         - Richard Bach, _One_

henry@chinet.chi.il.us (Henry C. Schmitt) (04/06/89)

In article <28394@apple.Apple.COM> mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark B. Johnson) writes:
>In article <8119@chinet.chi.il.us> henry@chinet.chi.il.us (Henry C. Schmitt) writes:
>>In article <7659@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> eacj@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Julian Vrieslander) writes:
[ lots of complaints deleted...]

>Whoa boy.  Apple does care, and the Notes were passed from my hands to the
>product manager then who knows where a long time ago.  I just spoke with the
>product manager (as I gave him the April 1989 Notes and Tech Note Stack)
>and he is trying to change the duplication process to streamline it and
>get the time down to something reasonable.  There are some people working
>on it, but if you really want your complaints to be heard (and I would if
>I were shelling out that kind of money to APDA for my Notes) contact APDA
>directly and let them know.
>
>Mark B. Johnson
>Developer Technical Support
>Apple Computer, Inc.

Mark -
	Thanx for letting me know that somebody at Apple cares!  I
just makes me hot under the collar to pay $40 for 2 disks!!

	As for your suggestion of contacting APDA, I've done that
but they just say "We issued everything DTS has given us!"  When I
point out that DTS says they gave APDA the missing TNs they say
"We'll look into it."  Then I wait...  When I call again, it starts
over from the beginning!

	All I see from here is a bunch of finger pointing.
Obviously you're not at fault but if you can, please pass our
messages to the higher ups at APDA.  Thanx.

				H3nry

P.S.  If you think I sound bad here, you should hear me froth at the
mouth about the problems I've been having with Jasmine.
--

mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark B. Johnson) (04/06/89)

In article <8138@chinet.chi.il.us> henry@chinet.chi.il.us (Henry C. Schmitt) writes:
>	Thanx for letting me know that somebody at Apple cares!  I
>just makes me hot under the collar to pay $40 for 2 disks!!
>
>	As for your suggestion of contacting APDA, I've done that
>but they just say "We issued everything DTS has given us!"  When I
>point out that DTS says they gave APDA the missing TNs they say
>"We'll look into it."  Then I wait...  When I call again, it starts
>over from the beginning!
>
>	All I see from here is a bunch of finger pointing.
>Obviously you're not at fault but if you can, please pass our
>messages to the higher ups at APDA.  Thanx.

You can be sure that most of the complaints seen here get around Apple
and APDA.  There are a lot of problems and fortunately there are some
people in product management and APDA working to resolve them.  I'm
not going to defend Apple or APDA here, but I will say that the
complaints aren't falling on deaf ears ... but you should keep them
coming until you get the service that you pay for.  If you are not
satisfied with what you get (or don't get as the case most often is)
let the people know.  If you don't get satisfaction to a "reasonable"
request at the front lines, escalate it to customer satisfaction or
someone else up the management chain.  Thanks for your support...

holland@m2.csc.ti.com (Fred Hollander) (04/07/89)

>				H3nry
>
>P.S.  If you think I sound bad here, you should hear me froth at the
>mouth about the problems I've been having with Jasmine.
>--
>  H3nry C. Schmitt     | CompuServe: 72275,1456  (Rarely)
>                       | GEnie: H.Schmitt  (Occasionally)
> Royal Inn of Yoruba   | UUCP: Henry@chinet.chi.il.us  (Best Bet)

This is off the subject, but, are you related to Bo3b Johnson?

Fred Hollander
Computer Science Center
Texas Instruments, Inc.
hollander@ti.com

The above statements are my own and not representative of Texas Instruments.