[comp.sys.mac.programmer] A word in defense of Apple.

pratt@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Jonathan Pratt) (04/09/89)

I hope I'm speaking for a silent majority when I assert that some of the
recent Apple bashing on the net has gone beyond constructive criticism.
In fact I think the posters from Apple are to be commended for keeping
their cool in the face of such unnecessary abuse.  It seems to me that
a few self-proclaimed experts are guilty of spouting the same sort of
dogmatism they object to in Apple's interface guidelines, only without
the benefit of sufficient forethought.  Just my opinion.

Jonathan

/* Jonathan Pratt          Internet: pratt@boulder.colorado.edu     *
 * Campus Box 525              uucp: ..!{ncar|nbires}!boulder!pratt *
 * University of Colorado                                           *
 * Boulder, CO 80309          Phone: (303) 492-4293                 */

tim@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Maroney) (04/09/89)

In article <8004@boulder.Colorado.EDU> pratt@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Jonathan
Pratt) writes:
>I hope I'm speaking for a silent majority when I assert that some of the
>recent Apple bashing on the net has gone beyond constructive criticism.

Do you have sufficient confidence in your position that you are willing
to live up to the two neccessities for constructive criticism: (1) naming
your targets and (2) making specific points?  If not, how about shutting
your cake-hole?  The net can do without cowards who snipe at unnamed-but-
you-know-who-I'm-talking-about targets from ivory towers.  Just my opinion.

>In fact I think the posters from Apple are to be commended for keeping
>their cool in the face of such unnecessary abuse.  It seems to me that
>a few self-proclaimed experts are guilty of spouting the same sort of
>dogmatism they object to in Apple's interface guidelines, only without
>the benefit of sufficient forethought.  Just my opinion.

Who has objected to Apple's interface guidelines?  I think they're fine.
I've praised them right, left, up, down, and sideways.  I've said they're
so good Apple ought to consider following them itself.  I have not seen
anyone here objecting to them, and I have to wonder what the fuck you're
talking about, if anything.
--
Tim Maroney, Consultant, Eclectic Software, sun!hoptoad!tim
"Philosophy is the talk on a cereal box

pratt@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Jonathan Pratt) (04/10/89)

In article <6943@hoptoad.uucp> tim@hoptoad.UUCP (Tim Maroney) writes:
>In article <8004@boulder.Colorado.EDU> pratt@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Jonathan
>Pratt) writes:
>>I hope I'm speaking for a silent majority when I assert that some of the
>>recent Apple bashing on the net has gone beyond constructive criticism.
>
>Do you have sufficient confidence in your position that you are willing
>to live up to the two neccessities for constructive criticism: (1) naming
>your targets and (2) making specific points?  If not, how about shutting
>your cake-hole?

Quick to take offense aren't you, Tim?  One might even think you had a
guilty conscience or something.  Since you've singled yourself out, I'll
make these remarks about your postings: they're often informative and
interesting, but occasionally hints of intolerance creep in.  It wouldn't
hurt you (or any of us) to admit we're wrong once in a while, or at
least to acknowledge the merit of opposing ideas.

My point was and is that many of us, while expecting continued improve-
ments, are generally pleased with what Apple has done so far.  We as
programmers should not be blasting Apple for not having a crystal clear
vision of the future (the source of many of the inflexibilities we gripe
about).  Rather, accepting what exists now, we should continue offering
ideas to shape the future in a manner that benefits us, and more impor-
tantly, the users of our products.

Finally, I don't think it's particularly constructive to rant and rave
and generally foam at mouth about certain software groups at Apple
violating this or that of Apple's own guidelines.  The main advantage
they have over Joe developer on the outside is more lead time in
knowing what will break with the next system, etc.  Momentum is also
a problem: a case in point - trying to get the disk icons off the
desktop without confusing half the users.  Has anyone seen the
artificial desktop created by Data Desk Professional?  Perhaps a
desktop/window like that would be a solution.