[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Format of TIFF files

housen@ssc-vax.UUCP (Kevin Housen) (04/12/89)

I would be indebted for, oh say 5 billion years, if someone
out there would be kind enough to explain the format of
TIFF files.  I am writing an application which needs to be
able to read a TIFF file and display it in shades of grey on
a MacII.  Also, what is the difference between compressed
TIFF files and uncompressed files?

Thanks heaps-

Kevin Housen

kent@lloyd.camex.uucp (Kent Borg) (04/12/89)

In article <2596@ssc-vax.UUCP> housen@ssc-vax.UUCP (Kevin Housen) writes:

>I would be indebted for, oh say 5 billion years, if someone
>out there would be kind enough to explain the format of
>TIFF files.  I am writing an application which needs to be
>able to read a TIFF file and display it in shades of grey on

Phone DEST (sorry, can't find the number, but the address is
			DEST Corporation
			1201 Cadillac Court
			Milpitas, CA 95035, try directory assistance).

A few months ago I got a package from them for cheap ($25?) which
gives you *source code* for reading writing TIFF, plus the TIFF spec.

Kent Borg
kent@lloyd.uucp
or
...!hscfvax!lloyd!kent

pepke@loligo.cc.fsu.edu (Eric Pepke) (04/14/89)

DEST's phone numer is (408) 946-7100.  I called them, and they do have
a package which gives information about TIFF files for $25, which seems
adequate.  Unfortunately, they don't accept purchase orders, which is the
only practical way of getting money out of the University.  Nor do they
accept credit card orders.

If you order this, be sure to specify that you want the Macintosh version.

Eric Pepke                                     ARPA:   pepke@gw.scri.fsu.edu
Supercomputer Computations Research Institute  MFENET: pepke@fsu
Florida State University                       SPAN:   pepke@scri
Tallahassee, FL 32306-4052                     BITNET: pepke@fsu

Disclaimer: My employers seldom even LISTEN to my opinions.
Meta-disclaimer: Any society that needs disclaimers has too many lawyers.