[comp.sys.mac.programmer] TN Hypercard stack: does it require HyperCard 1.2?

ra_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (04/16/89)

I downloaded the TN HyperCard stack 3.0 from Sumex.  But I can't get it to
work: it doesn't seem to understand most of the commands (on starting up it
says "232 is not the right type for and" (whatever that means) and gives me
only a cancel button, and on quitting it says "can't understand lock".  I can't
access any of the stacks, and even the dog barks weird (:->).  I'm using HC
1.0.  Could these problems be explained by needing 1.2?  If not, can someone
give me some hints about what the problem might be?  The stack looks really
cool and I'd like to use it.

Thanks very much!

Robert
------
ra_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu
------
generic disclaimer: all my opinions are mine

tim@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Maroney) (04/17/89)

Robert (just "Robert", no last name....) asks if his problems with
using the Tech Notes stack stem from using HC 1.0.  Probably; I'm using
1.2.1 and not having any problems.  Snarf a new copy from your local
Apple dealer, and if they won't give it to you, threaten to call Apple
and complain that an authorized dealer isn't providing system software
upgrades.

That's not really why I wrote.  Since I so often function as a critic
of Apple policy, I thought it would be a good idea to mention that I
think the Tech Notes stack is an excellent piece of work.  Sure, I can
pick nits here and there, but overall it's a massive improvement over
the foot-thick three-ring binder approach.  My compliments to all those
at DTS who were responsible for creating this very handy tool.

(But, c'mon, can't you fix the way PICTs are handled?  Just had to say
that so no one would think the CIA slipped Valium into my coffee this
morning....)
--
Tim Maroney, Consultant, Eclectic Software, sun!hoptoad!tim
"The above opinions and suggestions have absolutely nothing to do with

mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark B. Johnson) (04/17/89)

In article <2742@tank.uchicago.edu> ra_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:

>I downloaded the TN HyperCard stack 3.0 from Sumex.  But I can't get it to
>work: it doesn't seem to understand most of the commands (on starting up it

The Macintosh Technical Notes HyperCard Stack REQUIRES HC v 1.2 or later...

Yes, that could be your problem.

Mark B. Johnson                                            AppleLink: mjohnson
Developer Technical Support                         domain: mjohnson@Apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.         UUCP:  {amdahl,decwrl,sun,unisoft}!apple!mjohnson

"You gave your life to become the person you are right now.  Was it worth it?"
                                                         - Richard Bach, _One_

In article <7019@hoptoad.uucp> tim@hoptoad.UUCP (Tim Maroney) writes:

>That's not really why I wrote.  Since I so often function as a critic
>of Apple policy, I thought it would be a good idea to mention that I
>think the Tech Notes stack is an excellent piece of work.  Sure, I can
>pick nits here and there, but overall it's a massive improvement over
>the foot-thick three-ring binder approach.  My compliments to all those
>at DTS who were responsible for creating this very handy tool.
>
>(But, c'mon, can't you fix the way PICTs are handled?  Just had to say
>that so no one would think the CIA slipped Valium into my coffee this
>morning....)

We're working on making it (and other tools) even better and updating
it to include all the Notes through April.  Look for this and other
goodies at the WorldWide (Spring) Developer Conference in May.  I should
mention that the stack is meant as a SUPPLEMENT to the paper versions,
NOT a replacement.

As for PICTs, well...  What would you suggest? (Remembering that some of the
original diagrams are VERY large.)  We are VERY open to suggestions, so if
you have them, send to any of my e-mail addresses below or MacDTS on AppleLink
with TN Stack in the Subject...