[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Timezones

billkatt@sol.engin.umich.edu (billkatt) (04/21/89)

><In article <AYGKYIy00VQaIGwc5T@andrew.cmu.edu> md32+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Joseph Darweesh) writes:
[former thread deleted, quite irrelevant to this discussion]
>running Standard or Daylight time.  An interesting experiment (with a Mac II
>& 5M of memory, I now use a Ram Cache, so can't use that INIT anymore), but
>when is Apple going to get around to dealing with timezones and Daylight Time
>which our Unix boxes have been doing for years (I realize that DEC doesn't
>do it yet in VMS, but do we have to wait for them?)

Ever use the 'Map' cdev?  It has many uses.  Proposed uses are the ability
let a program tall you to 'call your local representative', and print the
number of the closest one on the screen.  Or, to let programs know which
time zone you are in, so they can adjust for machines in other time zones.
Also, I heard the location in the Map can be specified to within about 20
feet (or less), so you could generate a 'network map' or your AppleTalk
network which is correctly shaped (I am talking about large nets, like we have
here at U of M, not one which spans two rooms)

| Steve Bollinger      | Internet: billkatt@sol.engin.umich.edu             |
| Swartz Creek, Mi. 48473     | "My employer doesn't take my opinion any    |
+-----------------------------+  more seriously than you do."               |
| was the machine Apple made before they decided people didn't need         |
| machines with big screens, color, or slots."                              |
|                                 - Harry Anderson (from NBC's Night Court) |