[comp.sys.mac.programmer] In search of NEON

a_dent@vaxa.uwa.oz (Andy Dent, ph: 09 380 2620) (03/28/89)

Whilst reading "Object-Oriented Programming for the Macintosh", I became very
interested in the Forth-like language NEON.  However, I can't find any reference
to it in magazines, nor to the developer - Kriya systems.

Is it still in existence, how much is it and how do I get it?

BTW  The book is EXCELLENT if you want to learn about Object Pascal and MacApp.
(Kurt J. Scmucker, Hayden Press 1986).

MacUserLabs@cup.portal.com (Stephan - Somogyi) (04/06/89)

a_dent@vaxa.uwa.oz (Andy Dent) writes about NEON and Schmucker's book.

Chuck Duff, the guy who did NEON is the 'inventor' of Actor, the
object-oriented language that is doing so well in the PC world. The
company's name is The Whitewater Group and they're in Illinois; I
don't have an exact address of phone number handy.

I agree that Schmucker's book is good, but somewhat out of date. The
MacApp that it describes is version 1 and Apple have had 2.0B5 out for
some time now. It is my fervent hope that when MacApp 2.0 final
appears, Schmucker will revise his book to include it as well as C++.

<- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ->
Stephan Somogyi                           AppleLink: X1058
Software Engineer                         BIX: mulabs
MacUser                                   CIS: 72511,16
950 Tower Lane, 18th Floor                GEnie, MacNET: MULABS
Foster City, CA 94404                     FAX: (415) 378-5675

...sun!cup.portal.com!MacUserLabs or MacUserLabs@cup.portal.com

If fun is outlawed, only outlaws will have fun.

Any opinions expressed above are mine.

davely@mcrware.UUCP (Dave Lyons) (04/21/89)

In article <568217@vaxa.uwa.oz>, a_dent@vaxa.uwa.oz (Andy Dent, ph: 09 380 2620) writes:
> Whilst reading "Object-Oriented Programming for the Macintosh", I became very
> interested in the Forth-like language NEON.  However, I can't find any reference
> to it in magazines, nor to the developer - Kriya systems.
>
> Is it still in existence, how much is it and how do I get it?

I bought a copy of NEON a few years back.  At that time the address and
phone number of Kriya systems was:

		Kriya Systems Inc.
		Six Export Dr.
		Sterling, VA. 22170
		(703) 430-8800

Maybe they're still there.

The above address is beleived to be an accurate transcription
of what it says in my manual but I reserve the right to have
screwed it up and Microware should not be held responsible.

Davely -- Laugha while you can monkey boy !

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.programmer,aus.wanted
Subject: Re: In search of NEON (Mac Language)
In article <568217@vaxa.uwa.oz> a_dent@vaxa.uwa.oz (Andy Dent, ph: 09 380 2620) writes:
>Whilst reading "Object-Oriented Programming for the Macintosh", I became very
>interested in the Forth-like language NEON.  However, I can't find any reference
>to it in magazines, nor to the developer - Kriya systems.
>
>Is it still in existence, how much is it and how do I get it?

I bought a copy of NEON a few years back.  At that time the address and
phone number of Kriya systems was:

		Kriya Systems Inc.
		Six Export Dr.
		Sterling, VA. 22170
		(703) 430-8800

Maybe they're still there.

The above address is beleived to be an accurate transcription
of what it says in my manual but I reserve the right to have
screwed it up and Microware should not be held responsible.

Davely -- Laugha while you can monkey boy !

ra_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (04/21/89)

I believe I know one of the people who worked on NEON (i.e., I do know him, and
I believe he worked on NEON :->).  If you still can't find out whatever info
you need, I can give him a call.  Let me know.

special disclaimer: I don't promise he worked on it, but I'm pretty sure he
did.

Robert Anthony
------
ra_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu
------
generic disclaimer: all my opinions are mine