[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Scrolling problem with MPW 3.0

ra_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (04/24/89)

Has anyone else had this problem with MPW 3.0: when scrolling through either a
document or the worksheet by using the "pageDown" area, the thumb stops some
ways from the bottom and further clicking in the page down area doesn't have
any effect.  Grabbing the thumb and pushing the down arrow work fine.

If this is a general bug with MPW 3.0, no big deal.  If it's just my copy, I'd
be curious to know.  Any e-mail would be appreciated.

Robert
------
ra_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu
------
generic disclaimer: all my opinions are mine

levin@bbn.com (Joel B Levin) (04/24/89)

In article <2864@tank.uchicago.edu> ra_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:

|Has anyone else had this problem with MPW 3.0: when scrolling through either a
|document or the worksheet by using the "pageDown" area, the thumb stops some
|ways from the bottom and further clicking in the page down area doesn't have
|any effect.  Grabbing the thumb and pushing the down arrow work fine.

I would call this not a bug but a 'feature'. :-)

Scrolling via the page down area or arrow stops when the bottom of the
file is in the window.  You can get the bottom higher with the thumb,
but I suppose the idea is that if you know where the bottom is you can
still see a lot of the rest of the file.

I am neutral on this one.  Sometimes I appreciate it, sometimes I'm
caught short by it.  I don't think it is important enough to change.

	/JBL
=

UUCP:     {backbone}!bbn!levin		POTS: (617) 873-3463
INTERNET: levin@bbn.com

ra_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (04/25/89)

In article <39008@bbn.COM>, levin@bbn.com (Joel B Levin) writes...

>In article <2864@tank.uchicago.edu> ra_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:
>|
>|Has anyone else had this problem with MPW 3.0: when scrolling through either a
>|document or the worksheet by using the "pageDown" area, the thumb stops some
>|ways from the bottom and further clicking in the page down area doesn't have
>|any effect.  Grabbing the thumb and pushing the down arrow work fine.
>
>I would call this not a bug but a 'feature'. :-)
>
>Scrolling via the page down area or arrow stops when the bottom of the
>file is in the window.  You can get the bottom higher with the thumb,
>but I suppose the idea is that if you know where the bottom is you can
>still see a lot of the rest of the file.

Thanks!  It's good to know it's not something weird at my end.

Still, it seems a bit against the guidelines, to "disable" the page down area
or the scroll bar.  Wouldn't a better way be to just make it so that when the
last line of text of your file comes into view, the thumb hits the bottom of
the scroll bar?

I ain't gonna sweat about it though. :->

Robert
------