[comp.sys.mac.programmer] "Font" pull down menu question.

wargo@odin.ucsd.edu (Dave Wargo) (04/26/89)

What I would like to do is have the "Font" pull down menu show the
actuall font it says that it is.

What resource would have to be changed to do this?

I have poked at the system folder using resedit and have found the
font folder, but alas I do not know where to go from there.

Thanks

Dave
Dave Wargo
wargo@odin.ucsd.edu

Ice Cream, it isn't just for breakfast anymore.

cep@apple.com (Christopher Pettus) (04/27/89)

In article <6302@sdcsvax.UCSD.Edu> wargo@odin.ucsd.edu (Dave Wargo) writes:
> What I would like to do is have the "Font" pull down menu show the
> actuall font it says that it is.
>
> What resource would have to be changed to do this?

The standard MDEF always displays the items in
the system font (for most systems, that's Chicago).  The only way to get a
Font menu which displays in the font itself is by writing a custom MDEF;
fortunately, that's not too hard unless you want to support ALL of the
features of the standard MDEF, including color and hierarchical submenus.
Fortunately, it's a rare FONT menu that would want to do that.

Two other things to consider: 1) Drawing something in lots of fonts can be
very, very slow, since the Font Manager has to suck every font into
memory, one at a time, perhaps rescaling it in the process; and, 2) Many
fonts don't contain the Roman alphabet (for example, Zapf Dingbats), and
thus displaying the name of the font in the font itself would not be
particularly useful to the user.

-- Christopher Pettus                   | Brahma said: 'Well, after hearing
   Network Systems Development          | ten thousand explanations, a fool
   Apple Computer, Inc.                 | is no wiser.  But an intelligent
   cep@apple.com   {nsc, sun}!apple!cep | man needs only two thousand five
   AppleLink: PETTUS.C                  | hundred.'  -- The Mahabharata