[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Diff

mvg@pnet51.cts.com (Mitchell Gossman) (05/02/89)

Anyone seen a program or DA to compare two files and print/display a list of
differences?  I forget the name of the Unix command, but the VMS DIFF utility
is like what I have in mind.

pem@cadnetix.COM (Paul Meyer) (05/04/89)

[]
	The UNIX command is called diff, as well.  I have ported the
Sun source for diff to my Mac as an experiment in using Prototyper
(which, by the way, fails abyssmally on real-size projects and
nontrivial things like edittext items in non-dialog windows, but is
just fine for this kind of quick hack), and would like to post it all
over, but for two things:

	+ Although my dialog box has the options for doing diffs of
entire directories, I haven't actually made that code work (since the
UNIX code forks and uses UNIX filesystem directory-scanning code, I
didn't fix it up yet).  I dislike letting things this ugly out of the
stable, but I don't expect to spend the time getting it working.  If
you-all think just single-file diffs (all the UNIX diff output formats
do work, including context and #ifdef) would be useful with those
items disabled, I could post it anyway.

	+ Although the Sun source code has no copyright notices in it,
it might be part of some code we licensed from Sun, or even part of
code licensed from Sun based on AT&T code.  In the former case, I
could be in technical violation of the licensing agreement to have
done this, and would be a real live criminal to distribute it.  In the
latter, AT&T will probably hunt me down and kill me just for what I've
already done.  I have asked around about the status of this code, but
the people who could give me a definitive answer are very hard to get
a hold of at this time.

	Say, maybe somebody at Sun could give an answer?
Paul Meyer                      pem@cadnetix.COM
Cadnetix Corp.			{uunet,boulder}!cadnetix!pem
5775 Flatirons Pkwy.            GEnie P.MEYER
Boulder, CO 80301               (303)444-8075x277

jkjl@munnari.oz (John Lim) (05/08/89)

In article <7803@cadnetix.COM> pem@cadnetix.COM (Paul Meyer) writes:
>[]
>	The UNIX command is called diff, as well.  I have ported the
>Sun source for diff to my Mac as an experiment in using Prototyper
>(which, by the way, fails abyssmally on real-size projects and
>nontrivial things like edittext items in non-dialog windows, but is
>just fine for this kind of quick hack), and would like to post it all

A version of diff is available in MPW. Another version is available with
LSC. Both are called Compare. However they don't produce output
worthy of a stream-editor.

I agree with your assessment of Prototyper - suitable for quick hacks
and not much else. Until you have the ability to define links to
object code from within Prototyper (ie. When invoking the New... Menu
Item, link to function CreateWindow()) it's quite useless when you need
to modify an interface after generating and modifying code.

I've heard Dan Bricklin's Demo][ program is really good (MS-Dos program).
Any comments vs. Prototyper from anyone.

	john lim