[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Status of USENET Macintosh Programmer's Guide??????

DFJOHN01@ULKYVX.BITNET (GMAIL_FLAG_PERSONAL_NAME) (05/08/89)

Greetings from the University of Louisville!!

Does anyone know the status of the UMPG? I have not noticed any traffic
concerning this subject and am curious as to its current status.

Also, I tried to enlist in the evaluator/tester/contributor team but my
message never heard anything. Is it to late? How do I get started?

Thanks.

David F. Johnson

BITNET:    dfjohn01@ulkyvx
INTERNET:  dfjohn01%ulkyvx.bitnet@cunyvm.edu
UUCP:      ...psuvax!ulkyvx.bitnet!dfjohn01

bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Scott Kendig) (05/08/89)

In article <8905072340.AA03787@jade.berkeley.edu> DFJOHN01@ULKYVX writes:
>Does anyone know the status of the UMPG? I have not noticed any traffic
>concerning this subject and am curious as to its current status.

Ditto.  I saw a lot of hype about it here about a month ago, and I'm eager to
see it.  Anyone know anything about its progress?

>Also, I tried to enlist in the evaluator/tester/contributor team but my
>message never heard anything. Is it to late? How do I get started?

I might as well throw in my two bits, too: once a rough draft of it exists,
I volunteer to help proofread it.  I'm struggling to learn how to program this
confounded machine already, and if a Programmers' Guide can help *me*, it can
help *anyone*.

     << Brian Kendig >>

jnh@ece-csc.UUCP (Joseph Nathan Hall) (05/08/89)

In article <8212@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Scott Kendig) writes:
>In article <8905072340.AA03787@jade.berkeley.edu> DFJOHN01@ULKYVX writes:
>>Does anyone know the status of the UMPG? I have not noticed any traffic
>>concerning this subject and am curious as to its current status.
>
>Ditto.  I saw a lot of hype about it here about a month ago, and I'm eager to
>see it.  Anyone know anything about its progress?

Mea culpa, mea culpa.  The UMPG is definitely well stalled, mostly because
its choke point (me) was 1) having a contractor build a house, 2) working
50-60 hrs/week, 3) suffering mightily from this year's record crop of
oak and hickory pollen, and 4) taking 2 classes ...  At this point only
1) and 2) apply, but ...

Now, I do like to have a sense of self-importance, and I think I have a
lot to contribute by "editing" this thing, but I have come to realize that
editing does not mean swallowing up contributions and promising to sort
through them (even though a lot of magazine editors seem to conduct their
business in precisely this fashion).

Basically, I'm resource-rich but time-negative.  I would like very much to
contribute to the organizing, editing and shaping of the UMPG, but I just
can't handle, right now, the physical chores of sorting through mailing
lists, de-binhexing, editing, compiling, re-binhexing, etc., that make up
the very tedious and mundane component of this project.  I do have some
time for programming, testing, writing, etc., but not in combination with
the "real work," alas ...  I will probably be better off as a submitter
and copy editor than as a giant plug in the pipeline of progress.

If someone will volunteer to do the basic e-mail sorting and packaging work,
plus whatever else he/she feels inclined to do, I will package up the materials
that I have now and send them along by the most convenient route.

What we STILL need and have yet to have submitted are ARTICLES, by the way,
not programming examples.

Takers?

--
v   v sssss|| joseph hall                      || 201-1D Hampton Lee Court
 v v s   s || jnh@ece-csc.ncsu.edu (Internet)  || Cary, NC  27511

stores@unix.SRI.COM (Matt Mora) (05/09/89)

In article <8905072340.AA03787@jade.berkeley.edu> DFJOHN01@ULKYVX.BITNET (GMAIL_FLAG_PERSONAL_NAME) writes:
>Greetings from the University of Louisville!!
>
>Does anyone know the status of the UMPG? I have not noticed any traffic
>concerning this subject and am curious as to its current status.

Joesph Hall (got it right this time joesph :-)) Is working on it.

I also tried to send some submisions but got no reply. (my mailer is flaky)

Joesph please include me in the subbmiters/readers list.

Thanks.

Matthew Mora
SRI International                       stores@unix.sri.com