[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Why can't I get MPW 3.0??

uucibg@sw1e.UUCP (3929]) (05/11/89)

Okay, maybe someone out there from Apple-land can give me an Idea of why I
can't get MPW 3.0.  I ordered over a month ago and it was back-ordered at
the time.  Now the ship date has been pushed to May 15th from May 10th
which was a slipped date from the original of May 8th.  What's the deal here?
Doesn't Apple produce both MPW and the C compiler?  How can you back-order
from yourself?

I realize that there are other poor souls who've been waiting (or waited)
more than 2 months for their copies.  What's going on here?

Brian R. Gilstrap                          Southwestern Bell Telephone
One Bell Center Rm 17-G-4                  ...!ames!killer!texbell!sw1e!uucibg
St. Louis, MO 63101                        ...!bellcore!texbell!sw1e!uucibg
(314) 235-3929                             ...!uunet!swbatl!sw1e!uucibg
#include <std_disclaimers.h>

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (05/12/89)

In article <1576@sw1e.UUCP> uucibg@sw1e.UUCP (3929]) writes:
>Okay, maybe someone out there from Apple-land can give me an Idea of why I
>can't get MPW 3.0.  I ordered over a month ago and it was back-ordered at
>the time.  Now the ship date has been pushed to May 15th from May 10th
>which was a slipped date from the original of May 8th.  What's the deal here?
>Doesn't Apple produce both MPW and the C compiler?  How can you back-order
>from yourself?
>
>I realize that there are other poor souls who've been waiting (or waited)
>more than 2 months for their copies.  What's going on here?

Don't worry; you're definitely not alone here. Even the guys in Apple's
Development Systems Group -- the same people who *write* MPW -- have to wait
over a month for their official copies to arrive.

What's going on should be explained in a letter by Sue Espinosa in a recent
AppleDirect newsletter. Basically, she says that things were harrier than
expected in transferring over from the old APDA, and that we are finally getting
things under control. However, MPW will still be largely impacted, mostly due
to the fact that it is our largest selling item, selling more than everything
else combined. Keeping on top of that has been very difficult.

As for being backordered, I think that what is meant is that we are backordered
at the duplicators. We don't do that in-house.
INTERNET: keith@apple.com
"Argue for your Apple, and sure enough, it's yours" - Keith Rollin, Contusions