[comp.sys.mac.programmer] JumpStart

brian@natinst.com (Brian H. Powell) (05/11/89)

     Let's hark back to the good old days.  You know, the Volume I, Issue 3
supplement, back when the "March" supplement came out in "June".

     In that developer's supplement, they supplied a program and DA called
"JumpStart".  As mentioned in the _old_ Tech Note 57, you could arrange your
resource fork so that (1) the preloaded resources were contiguous in the file,
and (2) the resource map is at the beginning of the file (this implies that
the resource fork is read-only).  If you did this stuff, your application's
launch time would be substantially improved.
     Unfortunately, JumpStart doesn't work too well with System 6.0.3 on my
Mac IIcx.

     I sent a message to Tech Support on AppleLink a few weeks ago, asking
about the status of JumpStart and whether doing these things was still kosher,
but they never responded.  I take it that their all new to Apple, and know
nothing of JumpStart.

     Anybody else got any ideas about the situation?

Brian H. Powell					National Instruments Corp.
	brian@natinst.com			12109 Technology Blvd.
	uunet!cs.utexas.edu!natinst!brian	Austin, Texas 78727-6204
	AppleLink:NATINST			(512) 250-9119

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (05/12/89)

In article <2766@natinst.natinst.com> brian@natinst.com (Brian H. Powell) writes:

>     Let's hark back to the good old days.  You know, the Volume I, Issue 3
>supplement, back when the "March" supplement came out in "June".
>
>     In that developer's supplement, they supplied a program and DA called
>"JumpStart".  As mentioned in the _old_ Tech Note 57, you could arrange your
>resource fork so that (1) the preloaded resources were contiguous in the file,
>and (2) the resource map is at the beginning of the file (this implies that
>the resource fork is read-only).  If you did this stuff, your application's
>launch time would be substantially improved.
>     Unfortunately, JumpStart doesn't work too well with System 6.0.3 on my
>Mac IIcx.
>
>     I sent a message to Tech Support on AppleLink a few weeks ago, asking
>about the status of JumpStart and whether doing these things was still kosher,
>but they never responded.  I take it that their all new to Apple, and know
>nothing of JumpStart.
>
>     Anybody else got any ideas about the situation?

Brian,

I'm sorry that you didn't get an answer from us on this. Our records show that
you sent your question to us on 4/21, but due the size of our question queue,
we weren't able to get to it until 4/28. Immediately after that, we closed
down to catch up on some work before we went to the Developer's Conference,
but that should have included answering your question. I have forwarded your
original question and the above followup to the person who first took it.

We ARE familiar with JumpStart here, but we haven't seen anyone using it for
a while. It was mostly useful in the good old days where one had to suffer with
the abysmally slow 400K drives. It's effectiveness today should be largely
diminished due to the faster floppy and hard disk access times. However, you
use it, and we don't so I guess you're the best judge of that.

The biggest problem I can think of with JumpStart right now doesn't have to
do with the IIcx, but with (Multi)Finder. If you change the setting of a
program's SIZE resource, a new SIZE resource will be added to your application.
With one of the settings provided under JumpStart, this will supposedly
corrupt your resource fork.

INTERNET: keith@apple.com
"Argue for your Apple, and sure enough, it's yours" - Keith Rollin, Contusions