[comp.sys.mac.programmer] MPW C 3.0 System Error 33 Crashes

brian@cbw1.UUCP (Brian Cuthie) (05/06/89)

I have been having problems compiling some programs with the MPW C 3.0
compiler on my Mac IIx.  Specifically,  there appears to be a somewhat random
occurance of system error 33 while at 'stripaddress+08b4'.  Rebooting and
recompiling almost always works.

I know of other people having similar problems.  Is this a known problem ?
Does it have a fix/workaround ?

Thanks,

Brian
--
Brian D. Cuthie                                 uunet!umbc3!cbw1!brian
Columbia, MD                                    brian@umbc3.umbc.edu

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (05/12/89)

In article <152@cbw1.UUCP> cbw1!brian@umbc3.UMD.EDU (Brian Cuthie) writes:

>I have been having problems compiling some programs with the MPW C 3.0
>compiler on my Mac IIx.  Specifically,  there appears to be a somewhat random
>occurance of system error 33 while at 'stripaddress+08b4'.  Rebooting and
>recompiling almost always works.
>
>I know of other people having similar problems.  Is this a known problem ?
>Does it have a fix/workaround ?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Brian

Sorry for the delay on this one. With all of the WWDC going on this week, I
wasn't able to get an answer for a while.

Unfortunately, we don't really know why this happens. It seems to be a problem
with the C compiler itself. Somewhere along the way, it randomly trashes a
relocatable block header, putting in a funny pattern. We haven't been able to
get a reproducable case for this, but recent fixes to the MPW C compiler seem
to minimize the effect. If you can help us determine a set of steps we can
follow to accurately reproduce the problem, that would help us out immensely!

INTERNET: keith@apple.com
"Argue for your Apple, and sure enough, it's yours" - Keith Rollin, Contusions

alan@Apple.COM (Alan Mimms) (05/12/89)

In article <30538@apple.Apple.COM> keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) writes:
>In article <152@cbw1.UUCP> cbw1!brian@umbc3.UMD.EDU (Brian Cuthie) writes:
>>
>>I have been having problems compiling some programs with the MPW C 3.0
>>compiler on my Mac IIx.  Specifically,  there appears to be a somewhat random
>>occurance of system error 33 while at 'stripaddress+08b4'.  Rebooting and
>>recompiling almost always works.
>>
>>I know of other people having similar problems.  Is this a known problem ?
>>Does it have a fix/workaround ?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Brian
>
>Unfortunately, we don't really know why this happens.

>Keith Rollin  ---  Apple Computer, Inc.  ---  Developer Technical Support
>INTERNET: keith@apple.com
>    UUCP: {decwrl, hoptoad, nsc, sun, amdahl}!apple!keith
>"Argue for your Apple, and sure enough, it's yours" - Keith Rollin, Contusions

I also am having the problem.  Rebooting fixes it.  My SCM person just
has gotten used to rebooting the machine several times during a build for
me, sometimes killing off bad object files that didn't get flushed to disk.
I can't reproduce it in a consistent way either, but my sources (almost
10MB) almost always generate at least one of these errors during a complete
build.
--

Alan Mimms                                      My opinions are generally
Communications Product Development Group        pretty worthless, but