[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Aranda

franklin@uvicctr.UVic.ca.UUCP (Katherine Franklin) (05/10/89)

In article <1523@cmx.npac.syr.edu> pcossenb@rodan.acs.syr.edu writes:
>I was reading in the most recent MacTutor - May 89 Letters section. About a new
>tool called Arenda that a lets you automagically generate a flow diagram and
>does other automatic documentation handling features. Apparently people are
>drooling over being able to beta test it. Has anyone else heard more about it?

Aranda is well described in MacTutor (May 89 Letters). For others who have
missed the article, Aranda is the product of Soft-SET Technologies of
Vancouver, Canada, and provides a compiler specific utility for source code
management, analysis, design and programming.  The basic approach is to
provide the means of both top-down and bottom-up system support (top-down
for systems under control and bottom-up to help you get them under control),
and to observe the system at various levels of detail.

It includes the ability to display graphical or textual representations of
the source code (with folding) and allows you to attach documentation that
floats with the items that you are documenting for easy update and
referencing. The system is completely interactive and any changes made to
any of the representations are reflected throughout the system. Analysis
tools include the ability to locate calls and variable use, provide structure
charts for the class hierarchy, uses relationship...to name but a few.

The system will beta test with the Pascal (MPW and Lightspeed) and C and
will follow up with Cobol, PL1 and C++.  All of this, and decent
response time too !

Aranda is being introduced this week at the Apple Developer's Conference this
week in San Jose, CA.

I have alpha tested this product, and I will be working on this product
in the next few months as part of my Master's thesis, both developing and
testing the product.  The company can be contacted at (604) 734-1622 or
AppleLink CDA 0380, or through myself, for more information.

------
Katherine Franklin			franklin@uvicctr.uvic.ca
University of Victoria			franklin@uvunix.bitnet
Victoria, BC, Canada

hpoppe@bierstadt.ucar.edu (Herb Poppe) (05/12/89)

In article <664@uvicctr.UVic.ca.UUCP> franklin@uvicctr.UVic.ca.UUCP (Katherine Franklin) writes:

>Aranda is well described in MacTutor (May 89 Letters). For others who have
>missed the article, Aranda is the product of Soft-SET Technologies of
>Vancouver, Canada, and provides a compiler specific utility for source code
>management, analysis, design and programming.  The basic approach is to
>provide the means of both top-down and bottom-up system support (top-down
>for systems under control and bottom-up to help you get them under control),
>and to observe the system at various levels of detail.

[Description deleted]

When Will Aranda ship?

How much will it cost?

Are there plans to port it to platforms other than the Mac (say, UNIX
under X Windows/Motif)?

Herb Poppe      NCAR                         INTERNET: hpoppe@ncar.ucar.edu
(303) 497-1296  P.O. Box 3000                   CSNET: hpoppe@ncar.CSNET
		Boulder, CO  80307               UUCP: hpoppe@ncar.UUCP

werner@molokai.sw.mcc.com (Werner Uhrig) (05/13/89)

In article <3221@ncar.ucar.edu>, hpoppe@bierstadt.ucar.edu (Herb Poppe) writes:
> In article <664@uvicctr.UVic.ca.UUCP> franklin@uvicctr.UVic.ca.UUCP (Katherine Franklin) writes:
> >
> >Aranda is well described in MacTutor (May 89 Letters). For others who have
> >and to observe the system at various levels of detail.
> >
> [Description deleted]
>
> When Will Aranda ship?

	you and the whole world (including the authors, probably) want
	to know.

> How much will it cost?

	the price has probably gone up since the letter/article in
	MacTutor caused them to hire 3 full-time phone-people .. :-))

> Are there plans to port it to platforms other than the Mac (say, UNIX
> under X Windows/Motif)?

	does a cash-cow have udders?  there is the smell of "green"...
	guess where ?!?

--
INTERNET:    uhrig@mcc.com     (if unavailable: werner@rascal.ics.utexas.edu)