[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Multifinder and appletalk

mikeoro@hubcap.clemson.edu (Michael K O'Rourke) (05/15/89)

I have a multifinder compatible, supposedly, program that I am working on.  It
uses DDP and NBP to implement a chatting program over appletalk.

Problem: My application can be put into the background and brought back to the
front without a problem.  However, if it receives a message over appletalk from
another user while it is in the background then it seems that its socket
gets closed because it won't accepts any more messages and it never gets the
messages intended from it while it was in the background.

Question: Why?  What do i have to do to ensure the socket doesn't get closed?
          Also, how can i make sure that the networkEvt gets passed to my
          program if it is running in the background? Do I need to install a
          patch to OSEvent or something?

Michael O'Rourke

peirce@claris.com (Michael Peirce) (05/16/89)

In article <5483@hubcap.clemson.edu> mikeoro@hubcap.clemson.edu (Michael K O'Rourke) writes:
>I have a multifinder compatible, supposedly, program that I am working on.  It
>uses DDP and NBP to implement a chatting program over appletalk.

>Question: Why?  What do i have to do to ensure the socket doesn't get closed?
>          Also, how can i make sure that the networkEvt gets passed to my
>          program if it is running in the background? Do I need to install a
>          patch to OSEvent or something?
>
>Michael O'Rourke

From your description above it would appear that you are using the old
(obsolete) event based AppleTalk interface.  Check out the new "Preferred
Interface" found in Inside Macintosh Volume V.  They work quite well
in a MultiFinder environment.

Claris Corp. | Michael R. Peirce