[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Communications Toolbox Press Release

han@Apple.COM (Byron Han, wyl E. coyote ) (05/13/89)

Just thought inquiring minds would like to know...

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Contact:
Cindy McCaffrey
Apple Computer, Inc.
(408) 974-1578

APPLE ANNOUNCES MACINTOSH COMMUNICATIONS TOOLBOX TO DEVELOPERS

SAN JOSE, Calif.--May 9, 1989--Apple Computer, Inc. announced
the Macintosh  Communications Toolbox to developers at its
1989 Worldwide Developers' Conference here.  The Communications
Toolbox is an important new part of the Macintosh System
Software, extending the Macintosh Toolbox into the networking
and communications environment.  The Macintosh Toolbox is a
set of common routines, functions and features that all
software applications can draw on.
     The Communications Toolbox revolutionizes the way software
developers and users interact with communications software.
Compared with other communications environments, the
Communications Toolbox offers significant benefits to
both end-users and developers.  It provides developers with
standard programming interfaces to data connection, terminal
emulation and file transfer capabilities and provides end-users
with consistent user interfaces across all applications.
     "The Macintosh Communications Toolbox is a vital part of
Apple's connectivity strategy because it significantly extends
the power and consistency of the Macintosh to the world of
communications," said Don Casey, Apple vice president of
Networking and Communications.
     Possible applications that will use the Communications
Toolbox include telecommunications or terminal emulation
software as well as added communications functionality to
almost any application.
     The Communications Toolbox is made up of four components:
the Connection Manager, the File Transfer Manager, the Terminal
Manager and the Communications Resource Manager.
     The Connection Manager provides applications with standard
access to different types of data connections, independent of
the communications protocols being accessed.  Support for
particular communications protocols is provided via connection
tools. Connection Tools are installed in the System Software
much like fonts or desk accessories.
     Like the Connection Manager, the Terminal Manager and
the File Transfer Manager provide applications with standard
access to different types of terminal emulators and file
transfer protocols.  Terminal Tools provide terminal emulation
functions to applications, while File Transfer Tools provide
file transfer capabilities to applications.  The Communications
Toolbox has an open architecture.  This expanded capability
allows third-party developers to create custom tools and
enables end-users to enhance existing applications with
additional communications functionality.
     Apple will initially release a set of communications
tools that will provide a broad set of communications
functionality to developers and end-users:  an asynchronous
serial connection tool; a Hayes-compatible modem connection
tool; Teletype, DEC-VT100 and DEC-VT320 terminal tools;
ASCII Text and XMODEM file transfer tools.
     Apple also announced its plans to incorporate the Digital
Equipment Corporation proprietary Local Area Transport (LAT)
terminal services technology in the development of a
Communications Toolbox connection tool.  This technology
will provide an efficient means for developers to offer
Ethernet-based, multi-session terminal emulation capabilities
on the Macintosh.  LAT is a communications protocol used
in DECnet/OSI local area networks.  Developed by Digital
originally to connect terminals to host systems via Ethernet,
LAT is also used for connecting printers or links to VAX hosts.
     The Communications Resource Manager and other utilities
included with the Communications Toolbox provide important
support to developers in creating powerful communications
applications.  The Communications Resource Manager also
enables hardware developers to "register" their cards, such
as serial port cards and internal modems, with the Syns of the
Macintosh System Software.

-30-

Apple, the Apple logo, and Macintosh are registered
trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc.
QuickDraw and APDA are trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc.
DEC, DECnet and VAX are trademarks of Digital Equipment
Corporation.

Apple Press Releases
News

| Disclaimer: Apple has no connection with my postings.                       |
Byron Han, Communications Architect   At Apple, we change the world everyday.
Apple Computer, Inc.                  -----------------------------------------
20525 Mariani Ave, MS27Y              Internet: han@apple.COM
Cupertino, CA 95014                   UUCP:{sun,voder,nsc,decwrl}!apple!han
------------------------------------  GENIE:BYRONHAN   CompuServe:72167,1664
ATTnet: 408-974-6450                  Applelink:HAN1   HAN1@applelink.apple.COM

jpm@sauna.cs.hut.fi (Jussi-Pekka Mantere) (05/13/89)

Apparently the Press Release (article <30580@apple.Apple.COM>)
from Byron Han <han@Apple.COM> was garbled somewhere along the line
(at least our copy was...) At the end of this article is a diff which
might clarify the last part of the release.

--
Jussi-Pekka Mantere				jpm@cs.hut.fi
Helsinki University of Technology, Finland	jpm@finhutcs.bitnet

*** Press_Release.Byron	Sat May 13 14:06:56 1989
--- Press_Release	Fri May 12 16:03:26 1989
***************
*** 85,91 ****

--- 76,87 ----
  support to developers in creating powerful communications
  applications.  The Communications Resource Manager also
  enables hardware developers to "register" their cards, such
! as serial port cards and internal modems, with the System
! Software, allowing software developers and users to select
! these cards in a standard manner.
!      The Communications Toolbox is scheduled to ship to
! developers later this year.  It will be available through
! APDA and will be included with future versions of the
  Macintosh System Software.

  -30-

mesard@bbn.com (Wayne Mesard) (05/16/89)

In article <21962@santra.UUCP> Jussi-Pekka Mantere <jpm@cs.hut.fi> writes:
>Apparently the Press Release (article <30580@apple.Apple.COM>)
>from Byron Han <han@Apple.COM> was garbled somewhere along the line
>(at least our copy was...)
[...]
>  The Communications Resource Manager also
>  enables hardware developers to "register" their cards, such
>! as serial port cards and internal modems, with the Syns of the
>  Macintosh System Software.
>
>  -30-

Oh, I couldn't begin to register all the Sins of the Macintosh System
Software :-) :-)

--
void *Wayne_Mesard();         Mesard@BBN.COM         BBN, Cambridge, MA