[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Need Advice on Using C with MacApp

gww@g.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (Gary Carvell) (05/16/89)

I have a large program that I would really like to rewrite using
MacApp.  However, the program is written in C and I need to keep
it that way - the internals of the system were written and are
maintained on Sun machines and I must be able to move updated
versions to the Mac every couple months.  Is it possible to use C
code with MacApp?  Is it worth the trouble?  Is it possible to do
any of the user interface in C, also?  If not, should I wait for
MacApp/C++ to come out, or learn Pascal and use the current version?

Thanks in advance for any opinions/advice/words of wisdom you can
offer.

Gary Carvell

peirce@claris.com (Michael Peirce) (05/17/89)

In article <373@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu> gww@g.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (Gary Carvell) writes:
>I have a large program that I would really like to rewrite using
>MacApp.  However, the program is written in C and I need to keep
>it that way - the internals of the system were written and are
>maintained on Sun machines and I must be able to move updated
>versions to the Mac every couple months.  Is it possible to use C
>code with MacApp?  Is it worth the trouble?  Is it possible to do
>any of the user interface in C, also?  If not, should I wait for
>MacApp/C++ to come out, or learn Pascal and use the current version?
>
>Thanks in advance for any opinions/advice/words of wisdom you can
>offer.
>
>Gary Carvell

Sure, you can mix C into your MacApp based program.  The only restriction I
can think of is that you have to write your methods in Object Pascal (at
least until C++ is officially available from Apple).  These Pascal Methods
can then call C subroutines if you want.  My MacApp code has
a far amount of C mixed in (library procedures and whatnot).  Of course the
C has to be MPW C.

Claris Corp. | Michael R. Peirce