[comp.sys.mac.programmer] A plea for revised mac programming documentation

day@grand.UUCP (Dave Yost) (05/14/89)

Imagine...

It's 1990.  A programmer, perhaps already expert in
another type of system, finally gets the message that
the Mac is great, and wants to learn how to program it.

Scenario 1:

    He (or she) goes out and buys the Technical
    Introduction, the Software Introduction, the Hunan
    Interface Guidelines, the Multifinder Notes volumes
    1 - 3, Inside Mac volumes I - VII, all 473 Tech
    Notes, the MacApp documentation and sources, and
    "Tips from Apple insiders on the Net" (5,344
    pages).  While struggling through this material, he
    watches the net to look for bits of wisdom, finds
    brisk traffic about all sorts of tricky problems.
    Five months later he takes a job as a farm hand.

Scenario 2:

    He goes out and buys The Macintosh Technical
    Documentation, Version 7.0 (10 volumes).  These
    books have revision bars in the margin for the
    benefit of old-timers, but he ignores them.  He
    reads the tutorial in the first few volumes, feels
    like he has a clear and consistent view of mac
    software, then he proceeds to produce good code,
    occasionally referring to the reference material in
    the remaining volumes, and to the 200-page, totally
    complete two-level Index.

We can wish.

 --dave

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (05/14/89)

In article <496@grand.UUCP> day@grand.UUCP (Dave Yost) writes:
>Imagine...
>
>It's 1990.  A programmer, perhaps already expert in
>another type of system, finally gets the message that
>the Mac is great, and wants to learn how to program it.
>
>Scenario 1:
>
>	[ The state of today ]
>
>Scenario 2:
>
>	[ The vision of tomorrow ]
>
>We can wish.

I can see how this topic can easily explode into another session on Apple
bashing ("Why the Hell can't Apple get its act together and put out some decent
documentation?"), so I just wanted to let people know what was currently going
on.

By now, you all should have heard about the features of 7.0. Mark Johnson
posted the summaries to the net, and there has been some discussion on various
topics already. As you can see, there is a *LOT* going on. Even the media
has hardly failed to notice the significance of what we are doing.

Practically EVERYONE in Technical Publications is working on the documentation
for 7.0 right now. Other projects already started have been put on hold in
order so that we may have the documentation done at the same time as the
software. People at the Developer's Conference received binders full of
preliminary documentation, but there is still lots to do.

Until then, there is very little we can do to combine everything into one
place. Besides, I'm sure that everyone here would like to see the Combined
Technical Works of the Macintosh include System 7.0 stuff, so we need to get
it done first anyway.

At the very least, there the job security of people like me to consider, who
get paid for know what's in these manuals... :-)

INTERNET: keith@apple.com
"Argue for your Apple, and sure enough, it's yours" - Keith Rollin, Contusions

day@grand.UUCP (Dave Yost) (05/16/89)

In article <30650@apple.Apple.COM> keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) writes:
> Practically EVERYONE in Technical Publications is working on the
> documentation for 7.0 right now.  Other projects already started have been
> put on hold in order so that we may have the documentation done at the same
> time as the software.  Until then, there is very little we can do to
> combine everything into one place.  Besides, I'm sure that everyone here
> would like to see the Combined Technical Works of the Macintosh include
> System 7.0 stuff, so we need to get it done first anyway.

So there's hope then, that the Mac technical documentation
may someday be consolidated?  It would be so much better
to have a consistent, periodically revised and expanded
complete work than a base work with deltas.

 --dave yost

werner@molokai.sw.mcc.com (Werner Uhrig) (05/17/89)

In article <496@grand.UUCP>, day@grand.UUCP (Dave Yost) writes:
> Imagine...
>
> It's 1990.  A programmer, perhaps already expert in
> another type of system, finally gets the message that
> the Mac is great, and wants to learn how to program it.
>
> Scenario 1:

 	....I couldn't think of a humourous remark to this sad description
	of the state of affairs ...

> Scenario 2:
>
>     He goes out and buys The Macintosh Technical
>     Documentation, Version 7.0 (10 volumes).  These
>     books have revision bars in the margin for the
>     benefit of old-timers, but he ignores them.  He
>     reads the tutorial in the first few volumes, feels
>     like he has a clear and consistent view of mac
>     software, then he proceeds to produce good code,
>     occasionally referring to the reference material in
>     the remaining volumes, and to the 200-page, totally
>     complete two-level Index.

	hehe, I've said since 1984 that Apple missed out on learning
	one thing from Big Blue:  how to write documentation that can
	be supported over the years;  I still say the same thing.

	I only had to grin when I thought of the commercial Big Blue
	could launch, IFF they'd ever get down to mentioning the
	competition:

	Remember the 1984ish Apple TV-ad with showing the itty-bitty
	Macintosh-documentation "butterflying" down on the table ?
	"that's all you need on the Macintosh" ...

	...followed by the 1990-reality *CLUNK* of the 10 volumes;

	welcome to the "real world", kid.  wait until you get promoted
	to the second grade where we'll talk of "virtual memory",
	"version-control", "automatic job-scheduling", "macro-languages",
	"generation-file-names", "source-code control", ...

	well, at least marketing behaves like IBM-clones already ...

			<wink-wink, nudge-nudge... what, that tear in
				my eye?  just a little onion ...>

--
INTERNET:    uhrig@mcc.com     (if unavailable: werner@rascal.ics.utexas.edu)