[comp.sys.mac.programmer] MenuChoice

oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu (David Phillip Oster) (05/17/89)

In article <7303@hoptoad.uucp> tim@hoptoad.UUCP (Tim Maroney) writes:
>In article <30697@apple.Apple.COM> tecot@Apple.COM (Ed Tecot) writes:
>>As a side note, I'd point out that the use of globals is strongly discouraged;
>>even assembly hackers should use MenuChoice.

>Except that, despite its inclusion in Inside Mac V, it is not implemented
>and quite possibly never will be.

I don't know what Tim is thinking of on this one. I'm sitting here on a
Mac IIcx. Macsbug says MenuChoice is trap AA66, and that it is two
instructions: move from the low memory global to the function return cell,
return.

tim@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Maroney) (05/19/89)

In article <29202@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu.UUCP
(David Phillip Oster) writes:
>I don't know what Tim is thinking of on this one. I'm sitting here on a
>Mac IIcx. Macsbug says MenuChoice is trap AA66, and that it is two
>instructions: move from the low memory global to the function return cell,
>return.

Sorry, what I was thinking of was a net article about three months ago
that made the same claim and was not corrected.  I expect the reason it
was not corrected then was that Inside Mac V was newer and there was
less experience with it.  The reason for the original mistake was
probably that the person failed to note the "Macintosh II only"
notation on the function and overgeneralized from it being missing on
his SE.  (However, people should note this before including MenuChoice
in their programs; code will actually have to do a ROM version switch,
calling MenuChoice on the Mac II ROMs and looking at the low-memory
MenuDisable otherwise.)  Thanks for the correction.
--
Tim Maroney, Consultant, Eclectic Software, sun!hoptoad!tim
"Superhero stories could best be described as entertainment that externalizes