[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Font menu's

cyosta@taux01.UUCP ( Yossie Silverman ) (05/17/89)

I have a short question to a Claris person.  I have been playing with
MW II and noticed that somehow it manages to put together a Font Menu
with all the font-names in their REAL font.  Suitcase II does this as
well, but it takes it forever to construct the menu.  MW II seems to be
able to do this in no time flat.  Can someone explain how?
--
Yossie Silverman                                   What did the Caspian sea?
National Semiconductor Ltd. (Israel)				- Saki

stores@unix.SRI.COM (Matt Mora) (05/18/89)

In article <1715@taux01.UUCP> cyosta%taux01@nsc.COM ( Yossie Silverman ) writes:
>I have a short question to a Claris person.  I have been playing with
>MW II and noticed that somehow it manages to put together a Font Menu
>with all the font-names in their REAL font.  Suitcase II does this as
>well, but it takes it forever to construct the menu.  MW II seems to be
>able to do this in no time flat.  Can someone explain how?
>--

I believe that when MWII starts up it check the fonts installed in the system
and makes an offscreen bitmap of the fontmenu then blasts it in when you
click on the font menu. Suitcase II probably does its thing on the fly
because it can never know when the fonts might get changed.

Just Guessing.

Matthew Mora
SRI International                       stores@unix.sri.com

brendan@claris.com (Brendan McCarthy) (05/19/89)

>>I have a short question to a Claris person.  I have been playing with
>>MW II and noticed that somehow it manages to put together a Font Menu
>>with all the font-names in their REAL font.  Suitcase II does this as
>>well, but it takes it forever to construct the menu.  MW II seems to be
>>able to do this in no time flat.  Can someone explain how?

The way we got the blazing speed on the Claris font menu in MacWrite II
by building it only when we need to.  If you look in your System Folder,
you'll find a document named 'Claris Fonts'.  That file is used to store the
font menu data between launchings of Claris applications.  Other Claris
applications that will create or use this Fonts file are MacDraw II v1.1 and
MacProject II v2.0.  On launch, we check to see if the fonts in the system
still match those in our file, update the file if necessary, and continue.

Tip: You can create a folder named 'Claris' inside your system folder.
MacWrite II, MacDraw II v1.1, and MacProject II v2.0 will find the 'Claris Fonts', Dictionaries, and application Help and default stationary files if
they're in this folder.

Brendan

        :
 CLARIS :
        :
        :        Brendan McCarthy
        :        UUCP: brendan@claris.com
        :        InterNet: {ames,apple,portal,sun,voder}!claris!brendan
        :        AppleLink: MCCARTHY4
        :
        :