[comp.sys.mac.programmer] AppMaker information?

joe@gistdev.UUCP (05/04/89)

Does anyone out there have any experience using AppMaker?  How does it
compare to, say, Prototyper?  Any information would be appreciated.

Joe Brownlee       | The best diplomat I know is a fully activated phaser bank.
GIST, Inc.         |                                -- Montgomery Scott
1800 Woodfield Dr. | Pay attention to what I say, and you might start a trend.
Savoy, IL 61874	   | ARPANET: joe%gistdev@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu
(217) 352-1165	   | UUCP   : {uunet,pur-ee,convex}!uiucuxc!gistdev!joe

joe@gistdev.UUCP (05/09/89)

Hmmmm, no one has used AppMaker, eh?  If this is really the case, perhaps
that in itself tells me something.  If anyone can provide any information,
I would appreciate it, but for now I'll consider my question answered.

omh@brunix (Owen M. Hartnett) (05/15/89)

In article <8500009@gistdev> joe@gistdev.UUCP writes:

>Hmmmm, no one has used AppMaker, eh?  If this is really the case, perhaps
>that in itself tells me something.  If anyone can provide any information,
>I would appreciate it, but for now I'll consider my question answered.

I have used Appmaker, but not for anything where I really got down and
analysed the code output.  It's better than Prototyper 1.0, but I haven't
seen Prototyper 2.0 yet, so I can't compare them.

It does work as advertised, the author regularly attends Boston Computer
Society MacTechGroup meetings, wherein several of the members have
purchased or were beta-testers of the product.  Some members have reported
using Appmaker successfully to develop a couple of products.

Initial observations: The code generation seems very good, and I have
observed no bugs in the released product.

-Owen

Owen Hartnett
Brown University Computer Science

omh@cs.brown.edu.CSNET

joe@gistdev.UUCP (05/17/89)

Thanks for the response!  The reason I asked is that I had seen ads for
AppMaker, and it sounded interesting.  I have used Prototyper 2.0, and the
first thing I did caused it to give me a system bomb, ID=2.  The code it
generates is OK, but I'd far rather maintain some "cleaner" versions of
event handling, etc. that I already use.  When it comes to Prototyper, I
echo the general sentiments of the rest of this newsgroup when it was
discussed a while back: it's OK for protoypes, but not so good for real
applications.  I was hoping AppMaker might generate some more human-readable
code.

Joe Brownlee       | The best diplomat I know is a fully activated phaser bank.
GIST, Inc.         |                                -- Montgomery Scott
1800 Woodfield Dr. | Pay attention to what I say, and you might start a trend.
Savoy, IL 61874	   | ARPANET: joe%gistdev@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu
(217) 352-1165	   | UUCP   : {uunet,pur-ee,convex}!uiucuxc!gistdev!joe

omh@brunix (Owen M. Hartnett) (05/20/89)

One thing that AppMaker doesn't try to do is generate all the code at once.
A lot of the code is already prewritten which you include in your
[project, makefile].  Mostly library routines, but since they're all in
source, you can get to call them by yourself, as well as inside the generated
code.

One thing that AppMaker handles very well is support for MacDraw type
palettes, you give it the PICT and tell it how many wide and down and it
does the code.