[comp.sys.mac.programmer] A plea for revised mac programming

joe@gistdev.UUCP (05/17/89)

Please, please, please give us consolidated documentation.  I am so tried of
going to IM-I for some info about something, then finding it was changed in
IM-IV, extended in IM-V, and has 5 different Tech Notes about it as well.

I understand limitations of time and resources -- working for a software
house makes them painfully obvious.  But, it has been a while now since
even IM-V came out, and I would far rather see a new version of IM than
yet another place to look when I want some information.  Whatever Apple
can do to help is going to be greatly appreciated by all of the developers!

Joe Brownlee       | The best diplomat I know is a fully activated phaser bank.
GIST, Inc.         |                                -- Montgomery Scott
1800 Woodfield Dr. | Pay attention to what I say, and you might start a trend.
Savoy, IL 61874	   | ARPANET: joe%gistdev@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu
(217) 352-1165	   | UUCP   : {uunet,pur-ee,convex}!uiucuxc!gistdev!joe

rht@smsdpg.uu.net (Randy Thompson) (05/19/89)

From article <8500011@gistdev>, by joe@gistdev.UUCP:

> Please, please, please give us consolidated documentation.

I have seen this thread up on the nets for a while now and
would like to add my vote to this plea. I would also ask
that Apple consider a novel (???) approach...

    loose leaf instead of bound documentation?

It isn't as pretty, but it is MUCH easier to update!
Randy Thompson                             uunet!smsdpg!rht
SMS Data Products Group, Inc.                   -  or  -
703/648-9400                                rht@smsdpg.UUCP

blob@apple.com (Brian Bechtel) (05/19/89)

In article <310@smsdpg.uu.net> rht@smsdpg.uu.net (Randy Thompson) writes:
> I would also ask
> that Apple consider a novel (???) approach...
>
>     loose leaf instead of bound documentation?

Spring 89 APDAlog, page C-47:

Inside Macintosh, Vols. I-V Plus X-Ref, Looseleaf Edition.  $129.00

It's been available for several months.

--Brian Bechtel     blob@apple.com     "My opinion, not Apple's"

tom@unicads.UUCP (Tom Gerardy) (05/20/89)

In article <310@smsdpg.uu.net> rht@smsdpg.uu.net (Randy Thompson) writes:
>that Apple consider a novel (???) approach...
>
>    loose leaf instead of bound documentation?
>
>It isn't as pretty, but it is MUCH easier to update!

Actually I still have my old binders; I thought they were quite handsome
enough!

The loose leaf documentation isn't novel, but I wouldn't mind returning
to it if it could be better organized than it is now.  And could the
organization get much worse? :-)

--
   - Tom Gerardy             UUCP: ...!sun!sunpeaks!unicads!tom
     UNICAD, Inc.              or: ...!ncar!{sunpeaks|boulder}!unicads!tom

cca@pur-phy (Charles C. Allen) (05/20/89)

In article <1966@internal.Apple.COM>, blob@apple.com (Brian Bechtel) replies:
> Inside Macintosh, Vols. I-V Plus X-Ref, Looseleaf Edition.  $129.00
>
> It's been available for several months.

There is little, if any, advantage to looseleaf documentation that is
not updated with replacement pages.

Charles Allen		cca@newton.physics.purdue.edu

malczews@nunki.usc.edu (Frank Malczewski) (05/21/89)

In article <1966@internal.Apple.COM> blob@apple.com (Brian Bechtel) writes:
>In article <310@smsdpg.uu.net> rht@smsdpg.uu.net (Randy Thompson) writes:
>> I would also ask
>> that Apple consider a novel (???) approach...
>>
>>     loose leaf instead of bound documentation?
>
>Spring 89 APDAlog, page C-47:
>
>Inside Macintosh, Vols. I-V Plus X-Ref, Looseleaf Edition.  $129.00
>
>It's been available for several months.
>
>--Brian Bechtel     blob@apple.com     "My opinion, not Apple's"

I believe what was meant here would be:

A loose-leaf version of Inside Mac (fro example -- pick your favorite Apple
document), where:

  1)  All information pertaining to a particular manager is contained in the
      same location

  2)  Changes to particular pages (revised, new, etc) are part of a replacement
      set of pages that are a subset of the entire manual  (as opposed to the
      current approach of replacing entire manual sets with each new release).
      One either: removes obsolete pages, replaces revised pages with their
      updated versions, or adds new sets of pages for new material.

At least this would be a start...

  -- Frank Malczewski        (malczews@castor.usc.edu)