[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Need file formats/Stuffit or something else for tape

viraf@gwusun.gwu.edu (Viraf Bankwalla) (05/22/89)

Hi,

  I was wondering if anyone had the Stuffit 1.5 format, or could
suggest alternative formats to use to write files to tape.  As I
need to back up about 600 MFS volumes, and 10 HFS volumes, I would
like to maintain the directory structure, file type, creator, rsrc
and data forks, and comments if any.

  Thanks.

						viraf bankwalla
						viraf@gwusun.gwu.edu
						uunet!gwusun!viraf

bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) (05/23/89)

In article <1374@gwusun.gwu.edu> viraf@gwusun.gwu.edu (Viraf Bankwalla) writes:
>  I was wondering if anyone had the Stuffit 1.5 format, or could
>suggest alternative formats to use to write files to tape.  As I
>need to back up about 600 MFS volumes, and 10 HFS volumes, I would
>like to maintain the directory structure, file type, creator, rsrc
>and data forks, and comments if any.

Why would you need the Stuffit file format for this?  To what sort of 'tape'
do you wish to back up your files?

In general, not knowing the specifics of your situation, I'd suggest that you
simply get yourself a hard drive (or lots of HFS floppies) and use the
commercial package Redux to back up your files.  If you have a good reason for
putting it all to tape, use Stuffit to pack everything into an archive (very
time-consuming on anything less than a Mac II!) and save those files - but you
sacrifice accessibility for size.  Stuffed archives, while they don't take
very much room compared to the original files they contain, can be time-
consuming to break apart again.

If you post a more concise description of your situation, I'll see what
further advice I can offer.
--
| Brian S. Kendig         /\ +----+ /\ of Power | bskendig                   |
| Computer Engineering   / Triforces! \ Courage | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU     |