[comp.sys.mac.programmer] System 7.0 & 32 Bit Mode

shebanow@apple.com (Andrew Shebanow) (05/24/89)

Just to set the record straight on the 32 Bit Mode discussions: although
large parts of the ROMs are 32 Bit Clean, and can run in 32 bit mode,
there are several crucial areas which are not. Most important of these is
the Memory Manager, which initializes the System Heap at boot time, BEFORE
any system patches can be installed (as Dave Berry pointed out). It would
be very difficult (and very slow) to change heap formats at system patch
time, and it would require patching out the entire Memory Manager and
several other pieces of the toolbox, using up large amounts of precious
physical RAM space.

Although I could expound on this stuff forever, I'll summarize:  under
System 7.0, existing Mac II/IIx class machines will continue to run in 24
Bit Mode. Eventually, Apple will release new ROMS (for new and/or existing
machines) that will support 32 Bit Mode. System 7.0 WILL be able to run
with these ROMs (trust me :-)).

I hope that this will end the confusion. I guess Tim wins this round :-).

Andrew Shebanow
Mr. Clean, MacDTS
- All Opinions Are Mine, and Mine Alone -

tim@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Maroney) (05/25/89)

In article <2033@internal.Apple.COM> shebanow@apple.com (Andrew Shebanow)
writes:
>Just to set the record straight on the 32 Bit Mode discussions: although
>large parts of the ROMs are 32 Bit Clean, and can run in 32 bit mode,
>there are several crucial areas which are not. Most important of these is
>the Memory Manager, which initializes the System Heap at boot time, BEFORE
>any system patches can be installed (as Dave Berry pointed out). It would
>be very difficult (and very slow) to change heap formats at system patch
>time, and it would require patching out the entire Memory Manager and
>several other pieces of the toolbox, using up large amounts of precious
>physical RAM space.

I was going to thank dwb for his information, but I kept getting an
interp buffer overflow from the roughly six gigabyte References line,
so I'll do it here instead; and thank you as well, Andrew.  The heap
reformatting issue is one that hadn't occurred to me.

Apple can get its patches in fairly early; one way around the problem
might be to use only a minimal System file consisting of the Memory
Manager patch, then use another file to do most of what the system does
now, switching to it inside the patch.  Unfortunately, this would change
the user appearance of the system folder, but it seems as if it would
work.

As for the physical RAM issue, is it really that much?  Perhaps 32K at
the most for both the Memory Manager and the Control Manager?  Hey,
Backdrop takes up almost that much space....

>Although I could expound on this stuff forever, I'll summarize:  under
>System 7.0, existing Mac II/IIx class machines will continue to run in 24
>Bit Mode. Eventually, Apple will release new ROMS (for new and/or existing
>machines) that will support 32 Bit Mode. System 7.0 WILL be able to run
>with these ROMs (trust me :-)).

And the issue is settled in one fell swoop.  Thanks again, dwb and Andrew.

>I hope that this will end the confusion. I guess Tim wins this round :-).

I'm sure no one is keeping score....
--
Tim Maroney, Consultant, Eclectic Software, sun!hoptoad!tim
"I am of the opinion that my life belongs to the whole community, and as long