[comp.sys.mac.programmer] QUESTION: Reasonable CODE debugger/patcher

d88-jwa@nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte) (05/24/89)

So, anyone knows an answer to this:

I need a debugger/patcher that's independent of
language, actually, independent of source code.
What I want to do is to be able to taken an APPL,
CODE resource or something like it, disassemble
it in the nice way that MacsBug 6.0 does, hack in
new assembler that replaces/extends the code, and
SAVE IT ALL BACK. MacsBug lets me do some of these
things, but I have to break out from inside the
running code. Preferrably I wouldn't have to run
the code in order to load it. Also, MacsBug only
has Hex format input, which is a little but TOO
much work for me. Finally, MacsBug can't save back
patches made to the code.

Anyone got any pointers/suggestions/PD software/
order forms for anything like it? (My previous
experience in these matters come from sdb & dbx
under UNIX and (don't laugh, it was a long time
ago) DDT under CP/M-80 and CP/M-86

Thanx in advance!

--
h+@nada.kth.se  <>,,    "Hmm. What's this green fish called? I think I will
Jon W{tte      (:))))=-   call it Lunch. Hi, Lunch!"  --  A fish called Wanda

ksitze@nmsu.edu (Kevin Sitze) (05/25/89)

I'd appreciate it if whoever answers the above also sends me the info,
better yet, just post it!

				-Kelesi

| From the Macintosh of: Kevin L. Sitze. This is ME: ksitze@NMSU.edu |
+------------------------------------------------------+-------------+
| The difference between intelligence and stupidity is |   Is this   |
| that intelligence has a limit.          -- anonymous |   better?   |
+------------------------------------------------------+-------------+

d88-jwa@nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte) (05/25/89)

In article <KSITZE.89May24141133@picuris.nmsu.edu> ksitze@nmsu.edu (Kevin Sitze) writes:
>I'd appreciate it if whoever answers the above also sends me the info,
>better yet, just post it!

Ok. The only thing I have heard of is the MacNosy disassembler/debugger,
which requires the MPW assembler for reassembling... crude but workable.
Now, someone has asked about something called TMON. What is it ? Has it
any ability to SAVE BACK changes made, which is what I want the most
(apart from being able to load the code without having to execute it)

Thanx for answers about MacNosy from: levin@BBN.COM, zben@camelot.UMD.EDU
and holmes@apple.com (Just A Contractor)

>				-Kelesi

I am, as you now will get to realize,

--
h+@nada.kth.se  <>,,     Picture this recording studio somewhere far far away
Jon W{tte      (:))))=-  Brrrrreeeee, you bugger! (Piano in)