[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Outline Fonts and ImageWriter I

davidl@intelob.intel.com (David Levine) (05/11/89)

I've got a couple of Q's of my own:

Q:  How will Apple create readable outline fonts at the commonly-used
    9- and 10-point sizes on a 72 DPI screen?  Previously, creating
    usable bitmaps at these small sizes has required hand-tuning.

Q:  Will the trusty ImageWriter I be supported by the New Print
    Architecture?  Mine's still chugging away just fine, and I'd hate to
    have to buy a new printer just because of a software upgrade.

            David D. Levine                BBBBBBBBB  IIII IIII NNN  NNNN TM
        Senior Technical Writer            BBBB  BBBB iiii iiii NNNN NNNN
                                           BBBBBBBBB  IIII IIII NNNNNNNNN
UUCP: ...[!uunet]!tektronix!biin!davidl    BBBB  BBBB IIII IIII NNNN NNNN
MX-Internet: <davidl@intelob.intel.com>    BBBBBBBBB  IIII IIII NNNN  NNN
ARPA: <@iwarp.intel.com:davidl@intelob.intel.com>

parent@apple.com (Sean Parent) (05/27/89)

In article <DAVIDL.89May10135402@intelob.intel.com>
davidl@intelob.intel.com (David Levine) writes:
> Q:  How will Apple create readable outline fonts at the commonly-used
>     9- and 10-point sizes on a 72 DPI screen?  Previously, creating
>     usable bitmaps at these small sizes has required hand-tuning.
>
> Q:  Will the trusty ImageWriter I be supported by the New Print
>     Architecture?  Mine's still chugging away just fine, and I'd hate to
>     have to buy a new printer just because of a software upgrade.

The outline fonts are hinted and well hinted fonts look very good down to
9pt at 72dpi. The ImageWriter I will be supported by the New Print
Architecture (and it will print in the background with outline fonts and
all the other great stuff that goes with the new architecture.

Sean Parent
PrintShop Engineer