[comp.sys.mac.programmer] ResEdit causes headaches...

mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael Thomas Niehaus) (06/19/89)

Well, I was so impressed with the Lightspeed C compiler (for those of you who
don't remember the question about where to put the resources) that I bought a
copy ($159 from the Mac Zone -- they also have the Inside Mac books).

Last night, something strange happened.  I was just coding away in LSC and
using the Transfer... option to launch ResEdit so I could edit my menus and
dialogs, then when I was finished, I would transfer back.  Well, the last time
that I did this, the LSC application disappeared from my hard drive.  There
is no sign of it.  At least I do have the originals.  But does anyone know
what could have caused this?  I have used the Transfer... to go back and
forth many times without any problems.

(And for those of you who have never seen the ResMenu template for ResEdit,
you don't know what you are missing.  I managed to get hierarchical menus
working in less than 20 minutes...)

-Michael

--
Michael Niehaus        UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!mithomas
Apple Student Rep      ARPA:  mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu

pj@pnet51.cts.com (Paul Jacoby) (06/20/89)

Michael, what version of ResEdit and ResMenu are you using?  I've tried to get
ResMenu 1.2b2(1.1) to work with the latest Release version of ResEdit (1.2),
but to no avail.  It just bombs ResEdit in a fairly nasty way.
  Has there been a newer release of ResMenu?  If so, any chance of shipping ti
it to macintosh.binaries?
.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
| UUCP: {rosevax, crash, orator}!orbit!pnet51!pj |  Working with idiots keeps |
| ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!pj@nosc.mil           |  my life interesting...    |
| INET: pj@pnet51.cts.com                        |                            |

mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael Thomas Niehaus) (06/20/89)

In article <938@orbit.UUCP>, pj@pnet51.cts.com (Paul Jacoby) writes:
> Michael, what version of ResEdit and ResMenu are you using?  I've tried to get
> ResMenu 1.2b2(1.1) to work with the latest Release version of ResEdit (1.2),
> but to no avail.  It just bombs ResEdit in a fairly nasty way.
>   Has there been a newer release of ResMenu?  If so, any chance of shipping ti
> it to macintosh.binaries?

I am using ResEdit 1.2b2 (yes, I know it is outdated -- 1.2 is supposedly
"in the mail") with ResMenu 1.2(b1.1).  They work fine together.  I have not
had one crash while using it.  It would be unfortunate if this did not work
with ResEdit 1.2.

-Michael

--
Michael Niehaus        UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!mithomas
Apple Student Rep      ARPA:  mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu
Ball State University  AppleLink: ST0374 (from UUCP: st0374@applelink.apple.com)

u-atgoat@wasatch.utah.edu (Alan Goates) (06/21/89)

It seems that every time Apple releases a new ResEdit, my code shorts out. I
have a newer version of ResMENU that works with the release of ResEdit 1.2 .
This is available by sending a disk and return postage to:

Alan Goates (OtherWare)
310 S. 13th E. #3
Salt Lake City, Utah  84102

If anyone really needs it, I'll try to figure out how to post it to the net.
(I've never really messed around with this NetStuff (tm) before, so be
patient).

Disclaimer: I have no idea what I'm doing...