[comp.sys.mac.programmer] gcc for the mac

gja@etive.ed.ac.uk (A Cunningham) (06/16/89)

	I read recently in gnu.gcc that someone inside Apple had ported gcc
to the mac. If it's true could someone point me in the direction of gcc
for the mac. I have a recent GNU distribution tape so a set of diffs might
be enough.

	Tony Cunningham.

"Well you didn't wake up this morning 'cos you didn't go to bed,
 You've been watching the whites of your eyes turn red."

jspear@gryphon.COM (Jon Spear) (06/20/89)

In article <2377@etive.ed.ac.uk> gja@etive.ed.ac.uk (A Cunningham) writes:

>	I read recently in gnu.gcc that someone inside Apple had ported gcc
>to the mac. If it's true could someone point me in the direction of gcc
>for the mac. I have a recent GNU distribution tape so a set of diffs might
>be enough.

Yes, someone at Apple (I forget the name) ported gcc to A/UX.  He made it
available for ananymous FTP on apple.com in some obvious location. The
files were quite large, but I think there were some diffs among them.

-jon

--
-----
Jon L Spear: jspear@gryphon.COM    <routing site>!gryphon!jspear

holland@m2.csc.ti.com (Fred Hollander) (06/21/89)

In article <16961@gryphon.COM> jspear@gryphon.COM (Jon Spear) writes:
>In article <2377@etive.ed.ac.uk> gja@etive.ed.ac.uk (A Cunningham) writes:
>>
>>	I read recently in gnu.gcc that someone inside Apple had ported gcc
>>to the mac. If it's true could someone point me in the direction of gcc
>>for the mac. I have a recent GNU distribution tape so a set of diffs might
>>be enough.
>
>Yes, someone at Apple (I forget the name) ported gcc to A/UX.  He made it
>available for ananymous FTP on apple.com in some obvious location. The
>files were quite large, but I think there were some diffs among them.

You can't miss the name.  It's smeared all over gnu.gcc.  If you have
trouble locating it (and you feel brave), just post a request on gnu.gcc :)

Seriously, here's the info you need:
>The distribution is available by anonymous ftp from ~ftp/gnu from either
>apple.com (or for internal sites only, goofy)
>
>        gcc-1.35.aux.bin.Z      - compiled version of the compiler.  Place
>                gcc in /usr/local/bin and others in /usr/local/lib.  This
>                isn't everything necessary to run gcc, it's just enough to
>                compile the distribution.  Unfortunately, the A/UX compiler
>                can't cope.
>
>        gcc-1.35.aux.diffs.Z    - differences to be applied to the standard
>                gcc-1.35 distribution.
>
>        gcc-1.35.aux.tar.Z      - complete gcc-1.35 distribution with A/UX
>                changes applied.

Fred Hollander
Computer Science Center
Texas Instruments, Inc.
hollander@ti.com

The above statements are my own and not representative of Texas Instruments.