[comp.sys.mac.programmer] MPW Assembler vs MDS

ra_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (06/21/89)

I'm interested in learning (and in fact am learning) Mac assembly.  I have a
copy of Consulair's Mac Development System which I bought about 1.5 years ago.
How much better is the MPW Assembler (if it's at all better), and is there a
reason to purchase it if one already owns the MDS assembler?  I do my work both
in THINK Pascal and TML Pascal/MPW.

I've heard that there are some features in MPW Assembly that aren't available
in MDS.  Along with learning the 68k Mac stuff, I'm interested in learning
"practical development skills", i.e. techniques specific to MPW, etc.  Is MPW
much different from MDS?

Any info appreciated (if you can, please e-mail; it's easier for me).

Robert
------
ra_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu
------
generic disclaimer: all my opinions are mine

siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) (06/21/89)

In article <3983@tank.uchicago.edu> ra_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:

>I've heard that there are some features in MPW Assembly that aren't available
>in MDS.  Along with learning the 68k Mac stuff, I'm interested in learning
>"practical development skills", i.e. techniques specific to MPW, etc.  Is MPW
>much different from MDS?

	The 68000 syntax is by and large the same, but MPW's assembler provides
support for the 68020,  68030, 68881/2, and 68851, which the Consulair
assembler doesn't. Also, the MPW .O format is becoming a standard object file
format, and may development systems (THINK C and THINK Pascal among them)
understand it. (THINK Pascal 2.0 in fact allows you to add .O files directly
to a project, and will convert them on the fly.)

	MPW provides tools to convert assembly sources from TLA and MDS
formats to the MPW syntax. (Quick Quiz: how many people here know what
"TLA" stands for?)

		-R.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Rich Siegel
 Staff Software Developer
 Symantec Corporation, Language Products Group
 Internet: siegel@endor.harvard.edu
 UUCP: ..harvard!endor!siegel

 I classify myself as a real developer because my desk is hip-deep in
 assembly-language listings and I spend more than 50% of my time in TMON.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

arvidson@euclid.MATH.ColoState.Edu (John Arvidson) (06/22/89)

> formats to the MPW syntax. (Quick Quiz: how many people here know what
> "TLA" stands for?)

That's easy:  Three Letter Acronym.  :-)

John Arvidson

z8my@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU (06/22/89)

In article <2098@husc6.harvard.edu> siegel@endor.UUCP (Rich Siegel) writes:
>	MPW provides tools to convert assembly sources from TLA and MDS
>formats to the MPW syntax. (Quick Quiz: how many people here know what
>"TLA" stands for?)
>
>		-R.

Doesn't TLA stand for The Last Assembler?  I seem to recall that the
UCSD p-System for the Apple II also had the TLA assembler.  (come to think
of it, didn't the Lisa too?)

Sam Paik

d65y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu