[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Accessing A/UX partition from Mac OS

briggs@dg-rtp.dg.com (Allen Briggs VPI intern) (06/23/89)

A couple of months ago, my A/UX system crashed (it was crashing a lot
due to a flaky PMMU).  When I brought it up again, it didn't get beyond
the SASH window.  In fact, it barely got into the launch command, because
chroot() failed.  I tried just about everything to recover my files, but
it was all to no avail, since not even the lowest level tools I could find
would search past the Mac partition of the drive.  For future reference,
are there any tools that have been written that ignore partitions?
Apparently, the only thing wrong with the file system was that the root
inode was corrupted.  Any ideas on what I should have done?  (What I did
was copy the distribution from my Apple support center, which destroyed
all the data that was on the drive.)

Thanks for any suggestions.

	Allen Briggs
		briggs@dg-rtp.dg.com
		...!mcnc!rti!dg-rtp!briggs

disclaimer:  Data General Corp. is not responsible for anything I might
		say or post.  I am.

paul@taniwha.UUCP (Paul Campbell) (06/23/89)

In article <7340@xyzzy.UUCP> briggs@dg-rtp.dg.com (Allen Briggs VPI intern) writes:
>chroot() failed.  I tried just about everything to recover my files, but
>it was all to no avail, since not even the lowest level tools I could find
>would search past the Mac partition of the drive.  For future reference,
>are there any tools that have been written that ignore partitions?
>Apparently, the only thing wrong with the file system was that the root
>inode was corrupted.  Any ideas on what I should have done?  (What I did
>was copy the distribution from my Apple support center, which destroyed
>all the data that was on the drive.)

First of all run sash, from it run the command (from the bin folder)
called dp - use it to make sure your partitions are correct (maybe
run it on someone else's system to see what they ought to be. Be VERY carefull
if you set the partitions wrong then then you might trash the information
you are trying to recover. Next from sash run 'fsck' to check your disk.
If it complains that it can't find a valid file system then you have
trashed your superblock, you MIGHT be able to recover by replacing it
with a copy of someone else's superblock (from a similar sized partition)
and clearing both the inode cache and the free block list (use fsck to
rebuild it). DO NOT try this last unless you are sure your partitions are
correct and you ready to give up or you have the help of your local GURU :-)

	Good Luck

	Paul

--
Paul Campbell    UUCP: ..!mtxinu!taniwha!paul     AppleLink: D3213
"Free Market": n. (colloq.) a primitive fertility goddess worshipped by an