[comp.sys.mac.programmer] LSC Resources ... what is THIS for?

jasmith@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Jeff Smith) (06/28/89)

I am just getting started as a Mac II programmer and I am forced (by my boss)
to use Lightspeed C. The compiler creates 5 different resource types:
CODE, DATA, DREL, ZERO and SIZE. I understand the CODE and DATA resources, but
I can't figure out what the other 3 are for. Can anybody tell me?

Also, does anybody know of any OTHER resource types that LSC creates in some
situations? The test code that I am examining is relatively small and it is
easily conceivable that larger applications create new and different types
of resources to aggravate me. :-)

There appears to be remarkably little discussion of this kind of stuff in the
LSC manual.

Any and all help will be appreciated beyond your ability to comprehend the
form of my gratitude! :-)

Smitty    ....watmath!watcgl!jasmith

siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) (06/29/89)

In article <10493@watcgl.waterloo.edu> jasmith@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Jeff Smith) writes:

>I am just getting started as a Mac II programmer and I am forced (by my boss)
>to use Lightspeed C. The compiler creates 5 different resource types:
>CODE, DATA, DREL, ZERO and SIZE. I understand the CODE and DATA resources, but
>I can't figure out what the other 3 are for. Can anybody tell me?

	CREL and DREL resources are used for runtime fixups related to
data initialization to a5-relative addresses and other such things,
ZERO resources are used for data initializations to zero values, and
the SIZE resource is a standard MultiFinder partition size resource.

		--Rich

 Rich Siegel
 Staff Software Developer
 Symantec Corporation, Language Products Group
 Internet: siegel@endor.harvard.edu
 UUCP: ..harvard!endor!siegel

 I classify myself as a real developer because my desk is hip-deep in
 assembly-language listings and I spend more than 50% of my time in TMON.