[comp.sys.mac.programmer] becoming an official apple developer

chrisr@mentor.com (Chris Rosebrugh) (07/07/89)

i'd like some insights on obtaining official status as an apple developer.
what's the relationship withapple provide you? what do they expect from you?
what's the cost and how do i get in touch with them? actually, the most
important thing is how you developers feel about apple's support via this
program. do things like the technotes come for free through this? are there
discounts on things like MacApp? a special newsletter?

any help would be appreciated.

thanks,
-cpr
--
Chris Rosebrugh              | ...!{decwrl,sequent,tessi}!mntgfx!chrisr
Mentor Graphics Corporation  |      chrisr@pdx.MENTOR.COM

mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark B. Johnson) (07/08/89)

In article <1989Jul7.143227.4712@mentor.com> chrisr@mentor.com (Chris Rosebrugh) writes:
>i'd like some insights on obtaining official status as an apple developer.
>what's the relationship withapple provide you? what do they expect from you?
>what's the cost and how do i get in touch with them? actually, the most
>important thing is how you developers feel about apple's support via this
>program. do things like the technotes come for free through this? are there
>discounts on things like MacApp? a special newsletter?

Let's preface by saying these are my opinions, and not those of Apple...

To find out about the Partner and Associate programs, contact the Developer
Programs' Hotline (408) 974-4897.  You will be sent a complete brochure and
application.

The relationship with Apple provides the developer with tons of stuff in the
mail every month.  Things like Technical Notes and Sample Code as well as
the Apple Developer Group publications (Apple ViewPoints and Apple Direct for
the moment) and other general developer information.  Both Partners and
Associates get a membership to APDA and have the option of purchasing a
Technical Library (Inside Mac, etc) when they get their developer status.
Both get AppleLink accounts, however Partners get a full-year of minimum
monthly charges paid (either $12.50 or $25 per month --basically 1 hour) while
Associates only get 1 month paid.

In addition to this general stuff, Partners get a hardware purchase discount,
invitation to the Developers' Conferences (for a price), direct technical
support from DTS via AppleLink (Associates and the rest of the world still
get indirect support in things like the Q & A Stack, Tech Notes, and
Sample Code), and lots more stuff in the mail concerning marketing information.
I believe both Partners and Associates can attend Developer University classes
(also at a cost), but I could be mistaken here.

Partners also have the potential of being seeded with new products and software
from beta stages, although Associates get seeded with System Software when
it goes final before it is shipped to the rest of the world.

As a Partner you are expected to produce a commercial software product within
2 years.  This can be shareware in some cases, but it does need to be a
legitimate product.  The Associate program is aimed more for in-house
corporate developers and universities who need access to the technical
information for internal projects, etc.  There is no reason, however, why
one could not apply for the Partners program to get the additional services
when producing an in-house program.

You will find reaction to this program across the wide range of opinions.  One
thing to put into perspective, however, is that until earlier this year, there
were NO fees for these services and all developers received direct technical
support from DTS.

If you can get what you need from the APDA catalog (Technical documentation,
Sample Code, etc) and have access to the net for some general questions,
then you can probably forgo either program and still be quite a successful
developer (many do it this way)--it is certainly the least expensive route.

If you need the additional materials provided by the Associate program and
want to keep in touch with the rapid changes at Apple, then this program
can be of some benefit--if nothing else for access to the wealth of
information on AppleLink.

If you want hardware purchase discounts, invites to the conferences, and the
official ability to send development questions to DTS, then you will want to
look at the Partners program ... which also gets you marketing information, etc.

Its a matter of what you need and how much money you want to spend for those
needs.

I'll be perfectly honest that there are problems with our programs and right
now DTS is about 7 days behind in answering questions (normally a 24-hour
turnaround time); however, it depends upon your needs and expectations
as to whether or not you'll find the programs worth the cost.

I am neither defending nor flaming on these programs, but just providing
an opinion from a former developer who is now working on the other side
of the fence.

Mark B. Johnson                                            AppleLink: mjohnson
Developer Technical Support                         domain: mjohnson@Apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.         UUCP:  {amdahl,decwrl,sun,unisoft}!apple!mjohnson

"You gave your life to become the person you are right now.  Was it worth it?"
                                                         - Richard Bach, _One_