[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Main Event Loop

raday@thunder.UUCP (Alan Day) (07/05/89)

I have a student who is interested in learning about Mac programming this
summer. In particular, she would like examples of the main event loop to
study.
Since I am not a Comp. Sci type, I do not have the information readily
available for her. I have heard of Transkel(??) which provides the basic
loop, and I did get her a copy of Chernikoff's vols 1 & 2.

What she would appreciate is an up-to-date (i.e WaitNextEvent level) public
domain loop to study. Could some kind soul send me the source code of such
to give her? [The alternative is to force her to translate the MacApp
Object Pascal loop [I use MacApp to avoid this stuff but she is a sophomore
CS type who wants the gory details]. Hopefully a simpler(?) Pascal source
will help her understand the Event queue stuff more easily.]

For a CS student, she is excellent in mathematics :-). That is why I am interested in helping her Mac (yeah!) knowledge, and why I have contact with her (NO
PUN).

	Alan
	raday@thuder.lakeheadu.ca

lipa@polya.Stanford.EDU (William J. Lipa) (07/06/89)

In article <432@thunder.UUCP> raday@thunder.UUCP (Alan Day) writes:
>What she would appreciate is an up-to-date (i.e WaitNextEvent level) public
>domain loop to study.

There is an up-to-date version of the programming example found in Inside
Macintosh at sumex-aim.stanford.edu. The code comes from DTS at Apple and
looks like high-quality stuff. It's stored in the /info-mac/apple/code
directory.

Here's the blurb:
Sample is an example application that demonstrates how to initialize the
commonly used Toolbox managers, operate successfully under MultiFinder, handle
desk accessories, and create, grow, and zoom windows.

Bill

awd@dbase.UUCP (Alastair Dallas) (07/09/89)

Sorry to post instead of mail, but email bounced.

What you're asking for (example code in Pascal using an up-to-date
approach, e.g. WaitNextevent) is trivial.  I'll be glad to mail
(as in envelope and postage) what you need if you'll send me an
address.  That is, of course, unless someone who understands
enough to successfully use email has gotten to you first.:-)

/alastair/