[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Reading the carrier detect line on a modem.

sirkm@ssyx.ucsc.edu (Greg Anderson) (07/12/89)

I would like to be able to tell when my modem drops carrier, preferably
without constantly monitoring the serial line for the string "NO CARRIER".
:+)

A casual inspection of Inside Macintosh didn't get me any information
about reading the carrier detect line; in fact, it appears that the
Macintosh serial port doesn't HAVE a carrier detect line.

Any information on this subject would be appreciated--even if the only
answer is "it can't be done".

     ___\    /___               Greg Anderson              ___\    /___
     \   \  /   /         Social Sciences Computing        \   \  /   /
      \  /\/\  /    University of California, Santa Cruz    \  /\/\  /
       \/    \/              sirkm@ssyx.ucsc.edu             \/    \/

mec@mtfmi.att.com (M.CONNICK) (07/14/89)

In article <8338@saturn.ucsc.edu> sirkm@ssyx.ucsc.edu (Greg Anderson) writes:

>A casual inspection of Inside Macintosh didn't get me any information
>about reading the carrier detect line; in fact, it appears that the
>Macintosh serial port doesn't HAVE a carrier detect line.

>Any information on this subject would be appreciated--even if the only
>answer is "it can't be done".

Most Mac modem cables are wired to bring the modem CD signal to the
Mac CTS lead. So you detect carrier loss by checking the status of
CTS.

Michael Connick    att!mtfmi!mec        201-957-3057
AT&T Bell Labs     MT 3F-113	        (Dept. 79153)