[comp.sys.mac.programmer] LightSpeed C & Memory

giaccone@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Tony Giaccone) (07/15/89)

Hello folks, I need some help. I'm currently developing an application
to take Sun raster files, and turn them into PICTII files Using Lightspeed
C. Well the code works, but I have one problem left.  Memory.  I'm working
with raster files that are fairly large (512x512) and I need a lot of
memory. Which I shouldn't think would be a problem as I have 2meg in my
Mac II. However, I can only seem to get Lightspeed C to give me 384K.

I've tried playing around with the memory manager calls in IM Vol 2.
However, they don't seem to do much good. Is this because I'm running
multi-finder? What do I have to do to twist Lightspeed to give me more
memory? I've already selected the more memory option. Anybody have any
idea on how I can get around this problem.

					Tony Giaccone
					tonyg@cvs.rochester.edu

siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) (07/15/89)

In article <2492@ur-cc.UUCP> giaccone@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Tony Giaccone) writes:

>Mac II. However, I can only seem to get Lightspeed C to give me 384K.
>
>However, they don't seem to do much good. Is this because I'm running
>multi-finder? What do I have to do to twist Lightspeed to give me more
>memory? I've already selected the more memory option. Anybody have any
>idea on how I can get around this problem.

LightspeedC User's Manual, Chapter 7, Page 73:

	"THINKC uses the values you set in the Partition and MF Attrs
fields [of the Set Project Type dialog] to build the SIZE resource
your application needs to run under MultiFinder...

	...THINK C launches your application as if you had opened it
from the Finder. If you're using MultiFinder, your application runs
in its own partition."

LightspeedC User's Manual, Chapter 14, Page 174:

	"When this [the More Memory] option is on, THINK C tries to find
more memory DURING COMPILATION [caps are mine] by discarding certain
data structures."

		--Rich
 Rich Siegel
 Staff Software Developer
 Symantec Corporation, Language Products Group
 Internet: siegel@endor.harvard.edu
 UUCP: ..harvard!endor!siegel

 I classify myself as a real developer because my desk is hip-deep in
 assembly-language listings and I spend more than 50% of my time in TMON.