[comp.sys.mac.programmer] I need User Interface Advice on Toolbox Palette Window

philf@lindy.Stanford.EDU (Phil Fernandez) (07/11/89)

I am implementing a fairly specialized text-and-graphics manipulation
program, and will have a toolbox palette GhostWindow with draw tools,
text tool, etc.

When the program starts, the palette will open automatically and be
located near the drawing area; however, I'm looking for advice about
how the user should reopen the window if closed.

I've seen at least 2 models:

--A tear-off menu under a "Tools" menu heading.  This is the HyperCard and
MacPaint model.

--A toggle menu item under a "Windows" menu.  I.e., the first item
under the "Windows" menu is an on/off toggle for the palette window.
This is the Freehand model.

I was looking for advice about which of these approaches is "better"
-- i.e., more standard or familiar, or advice or suggestions about
other approaches.  All thoughts welcome.

Please reply directly to me:

Internet:  philf@lindy.stanford.edu
UUCP:      {...}!sun!lindy.stanford.edu!philf

phil

jb28+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeffrey Joseph Barbose) (07/12/89)

Phil,

The menu toggle is probably the closest solution to the standard Mac Interface.

Tear-offs aren't really used that often, and might very well cause alarm
to users not expecting this action.

Just my humble opinion.

Jeff

geoff@pmafire.UUCP (Geoff Allen) (07/18/89)

In article <3798@lindy.Stanford.EDU> philf@lindy.UUCP (Phil Fernandez) writes:

>I am implementing a fairly specialized text-and-graphics manipulation
>program, and will have a toolbox palette GhostWindow with draw tools,
>text tool, etc.
>
>When the program starts, the palette will open automatically and be
>located near the drawing area; however, I'm looking for advice about
>how the user should reopen the window if closed.
>
>I've seen at least 2 models:
>
>--A tear-off menu under a "Tools" menu heading.  This is the HyperCard and
>MacPaint model.
>
>--A toggle menu item under a "Windows" menu.  I.e., the first item
>under the "Windows" menu is an on/off toggle for the palette window.
>This is the Freehand model.
>
>I was looking for advice about which of these approaches is "better"
>-- i.e., more standard or familiar, or advice or suggestions about
>other approaches.  All thoughts welcome.

Sorry to post, but I tried mailing a couple of times and the mail
bounced.

Anyway, here's my $.03:
                  ^^^^(inflation :-) )

A toggled tool window is what I'd prefer.  Here's the reasoning.  Since
the tool palette is a `standard' part of the program, it should be
controlled under the `Windows' menu.  I think of a tear-off tool menu as
being for `extras', since that's really what the HyperCard tool menu is.
You don't _need_ the tool menu to use a stack, only to create it or
modify it.  So, to me, a tear-off tool menu gives the idea of an `extra'.

Also, be sure to include command-key equivalents for hiding and showing
the tool window.  I almost never use the menu items to hide or show the tool
window in SuperPaint; I almost always use the command-key equivalents.

Hope the advice helps.

Geoff
--
Geoff Allen - WINCO Systems Engineering