[comp.sys.mac.programmer] PopUpMenu CDEF problems

wilson@ucbarpa.Berkeley.EDU (James E. Wilson) (07/19/89)

In article <23679@santra.UUCP> jmunkki@kampi.hut.fi (Juri Munkki) writes:
>BTW:	Does anyone know of any bugs in the MacTutor PopUpMenu CDEF?
>	I'm using it in my programs, but I can't stop wondering if
>	it contains bugs. So far, I haven't found anything wrong with it.

1) Suppose the user has color menus which draw white text on a non-white
   menu background.  DrawPopBox uses the item name color when it draws the
   currently selected menu item into the popup box.  This is drawn against the
   default window content color.  In this case, the result is a white-on-white
   display which is rather difficult to read.  My solution was to use the
   menu title color instead of the item name color.

   A similar problem can occur if the user has a non-white menu bar
   with white menu titles.  In this case, the popup menu title will be
   invisible since it is always printed against the default window content
   color.  This problem is probably rare enough to ignore.

   And if you want to be really thorough, you should consider what happens
   if the user has a non-white window content color.  Ah, working with color
   is so much fun!

2) The doCalcCRgns procedure clears the high byte of its input parameter.
   This is incorrect, it should only clear the high bit.  You should also
   add code to handle the two new messages proposed for System 7.0,
   calcCntlRgn and calcThumbRgn, so that it will still run when 7.0 comes
   out.  (See technote 212).

3) As for aesthetics, I think that it looks much nicer if you make the title
   box one or two characters wider than the title string.  Otherwise, the whole
   thing looks rather cramped.  (Must modify GetTitleRect and GetBoxRect.)

Jim Wilson
wilson@ernie.Berkeley.EDU
...!ucbvax!ucbernie!wilson