[comp.sys.mac.programmer] ResEdit1.3d1 & CDEFs

rob@cs.mu.oz.au (Robert Wallen) (07/16/89)

One for whoever maintains ResEdit.

Having just downloaded ResEdit1.3d1 (which identifies itself as 1.2b4.1 when
you use option-command-About ResEdit), I have a minor whinge.

Using previous 1.2 versions, I was able to include custom CDEFs in resource
files, point CNTL resources at them, point DITLs at the CNTL and ResEdit would
handle DLOGs all fine, calling my CDEF to display the controls, etc.
However, now (with 1.3d1) I get address errors when I try to open the DLOG.

Using TMONs discipline, I can see that somewhere in FindDItem(), NewDialog is
doing a NewControl() followed by a MoveControl() without checking that the
control was created ok. Examining the code with TMON would appear to show
that ResEdit is doing UseResFile(appRefNum) followed by a _NewDialog(), then
a UseResFile() afterwards so I presume the problem is that the CDEF is not
available and NewControl() fails accordingly.

I blame the ROM but thats irrelevant.  I would really like my CDEFs to work
again.  Why did ResEdit suddenly decide not to allow CDEFs in the current
resource file to be used?  And can this feature be put back?

Yes, I know I can paste the CDEF into ResEdit.  I don't want to because I am
developing the CDEF as well as the application that is using it at the same
time and both are relatively volatile.  Besides, god knows what internal twists
ResEdit will get into if I start adding CDEFS to itself with itself.

Oh, a (slightly) related issue.  Has anyone had the hassle using ResEdit & LSC
under MultiFinder where ResEdit doesn't close a file properly and LSC barfs on
trying to write its linked output into the file.

Thanx in advance,   Rob

--------------
"I meant," said Ipslore, bitterly, "what is there in this world that makes
living worth while?"  Death thought about it.  CATS, he said eventually, CATS
ARE NICE.   -- Sourcery,  Terry Pratchett

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (07/17/89)

In article <2801@murtoa.cs.mu.oz.au> rob@cs.mu.oz.au (Robert Wallen) writes:
>One for whoever maintains ResEdit.
>
>Having just downloaded ResEdit1.3d1 (which identifies itself as 1.2b4.1 when
>you use option-command-About ResEdit), I have a minor whinge.
>
>Using previous 1.2 versions, I was able to include custom CDEFs in resource
>files, point CNTL resources at them, point DITLs at the CNTL and ResEdit would
>handle DLOGs all fine, calling my CDEF to display the controls, etc.
>However, now (with 1.3d1) I get address errors when I try to open the DLOG.

To all of you using 1.3d1, please don't. The latest version of ResEdit is 1.2.
1.3d1 is based on a preliminary version of 1.2, is not bug-free, and should
not be used. I'm sorry that people are finding it on servers and everything,
but 1.3d1 is not an Apple release. We'll accept bug reports on ResEdit, but
only if they are found in 1.2, the latest version.

INTERNET: keith@apple.com
"Argue for your Apple, and sure enough, it's yours" - Keith Rollin, Contusions

jmunkki@kampi.hut.fi (Juri Munkki) (07/17/89)

If I understand correctly, you have the same problem I _had_. ResEdit
crashes when it tries to draw the miniature dialog box. The workaround
is to edit the dialog box by opening it with the supplied template instead
of the picker.

Item lists can be opened normally, since ResEdit does not attempt to
display the miniature DITL.

ResEdit doesn't really like custom CDEFs. I sometimes use Rez/Derez or
the ResEdit GNRL editor to edit item lists.

BTW:	Does anyone know of any bugs in the MacTutor PopUpMenu CDEF?
	I'm using it in my programs, but I can't stop wondering if
	it contains bugs. So far, I haven't found anything wrong with it.

|     Juri Munkki jmunkki@hut.fi  jmunkki@fingate.bitnet        I Want   Ne   |
|     Helsinki University of Technology Computing Centre        My Own   XT   |
^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^

jordan@Apple.COM (Jordan Mattson) (07/18/89)

Dear Rob -
  Part of your problem might be that you are using a development release of
ResEdit....that is before alpha, that is before beta.  The SQA (Software
Quality Assurance) organization does minimal testing of development releases -
I am not sure how much testing ResEdit 1.3D1 received.
  Also, because 1.3D1 is a non-released version of ResEdit (even within Apple)
you are in possession of stolen property.  You should remove this copy of
ResEdit from your system at once.

Jordan Mattson                         UUCP:      jordan@apple.apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.                   CSNET:     jordan@apple.CSNET
Development Tools Product Management   AppleLink: Mattson1
20525 Mariani Avenue, MS 27S
Cupertino, CA 95014
408-974-4601
			"Joy is the serious business of heaven."
					C.S. Lewis

time@oxtrap.sendai.ann-arbor.mi.us (Tim Endres) (07/19/89)

   From: keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin)

   To all of you using 1.3d1, please don't. The latest version of ResEdit is 1.2.
   1.3d1 is based on a preliminary version of 1.2, is not bug-free, and should
   not be used. I'm sorry that people are finding it on servers and everything,
   but 1.3d1 is not an Apple release. We'll accept bug reports on ResEdit, but
   only if they are found in 1.2, the latest version.

OK, I run Resedit under A/UX and am *very* grateful that it even
works. Yet, when I attempt to create a "radio button", I can fill in
all the details in the button's window, but ResEdit crashes when I
attempt to save the changes by closing the window. I have not tried
to recreate it under MacOS. I can create all other buttons (normal
and check box) no problems. This is the "release" 1.2 ResEdit that
is shipped with MPW.