[comp.sys.mac.programmer] MPW 3.0 Installation

trebor@biar.UUCP (Robert J Woodhead) (07/16/89)

Gee, I just got the MPW 3.0 upgrade and tried to run the installer.
Followed the instructions to the letter and it bombs out and says it
can't find a script file that is definitely there.

Anyone installed 3.0 properly?  Whats going on?  I know I could do it
manually, but I'm a lazy sot.  Besides, I object to installers that
blow up for no reason.  Bleah.

--
(^;-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-;^)
Robert J Woodhead, Biar Games, Inc.   !uunet!biar!trebor | trebor@biar.UUCP

earleh@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Earle R. Horton) (07/17/89)

In article <775@biar.UUCP> trebor@biar.UUCP (Robert J Woodhead) writes:
>Gee, I just got the MPW 3.0 upgrade and tried to run the installer.
>Followed the instructions to the letter and it bombs out and says it
>can't find a script file that is definitely there.
>
>Anyone installed 3.0 properly?  Whats going on?  I know I could do it
>manually, but I'm a lazy sot.  Besides, I object to installers that
>blow up for no reason.  Bleah.

     Same thing happened to me.  I was trying to install MPW 3.0 over
my old MPW 2.0.2 folder.  Instructions say this is OK to do, but three
attempts convinced me otherwise.

     This is what I did:

     Rename my old MPW folder to something else.  (Delete it if there
is insufficient disk space, saving any files you want to keep.)

     Follow installation process as for new MPW installation.  This
should go smoothly.  Result is new MPW folder.

     Move files that you need to keep into proper locations in new MPW
folder.  In my case this was Aztec C and some tools I had created.  (I
keep my source files in another folder.)

Earle R. Horton
"People forget how fast you did a job, but they remember how well you
did it."  Salada Tag Lines

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (07/17/89)

In article <775@biar.UUCP> trebor@biar.UUCP (Robert J Woodhead) writes:
>Gee, I just got the MPW 3.0 upgrade and tried to run the installer.
>Followed the instructions to the letter and it bombs out and says it
>can't find a script file that is definitely there.
>
>Anyone installed 3.0 properly?  Whats going on?  I know I could do it
>manually, but I'm a lazy sot.  Besides, I object to installers that
>blow up for no reason.  Bleah.

There are two instances we know of where the MPW Installer will muff it:

1) You have an "illegal" character in the name of your hard disk. This
   character is usually one that is interpreted by the MPW as special, such
   as a quote or apostraphe. This is noted on page 44 of the MPW Shell Manual.

2) You are running with TOPS. This situation escaped us in testing, so we
   weren't able to warn you about it in the manual or release notes. However,
   it was mentioned in a list of MPW bugs I posted not too long ago. The
   solution is to reboot while holding down the special keys that keep TOPS
   from installing itself.

Hope this helps,

INTERNET: keith@apple.com
"Argue for your Apple, and sure enough, it's yours" - Keith Rollin, Contusions

roland@dna.lth.se (Roland Mansson) (07/17/89)

In article <14445@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> earleh@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Earle R. Horton) writes:
>In article <775@biar.UUCP> trebor@biar.UUCP (Robert J Woodhead) writes:
>>Gee, I just got the MPW 3.0 upgrade and tried to run the installer.
>>Followed the instructions to the letter and it bombs out and says it
>>can't find a script file that is definitely there.
>>
>>Anyone installed 3.0 properly?  Whats going on?  I know I could do it
>>manually, but I'm a lazy sot.  Besides, I object to installers that
>>blow up for no reason.  Bleah.

From Apple's Tech Q&A Stack (Q 83):
Another possible problem is caused by a bug in some third-party INITs that
cause the MPW installer to fail. This bug is caused by those INITs using
PBHSetVol and changing the default volume behind MPW's back This problem is
frequently reported by users with TOPS (from TOPS, a Sun Microsystems
company).

Some INITs use PBHGetVol to get and save the working directory, then attempt
to restore it using PBHSetVol, but end up setting the working directory to the
root instead. Tech Note 140, "Why PBHSetVol is Dangerous," warns against using
PBHSetVol.
--
Roland Mansson, Lund University Computing Center, Box 783, S220 07 Lund, Sweden
Phone: +46-46107436   Fax: +46-46138225   Bitnet: roland_m@seldc52

jordan@Apple.COM (Jordan Mattson) (07/18/89)

Dear Robert -
  Do you have TOPs installed?  Their is a problem with TOPs and the MPW
installer, which is documented in a errata sheet which should be included
with the MPW 3.0 package, which is cause by TOPs performing an HGetVol and
HSetVol (a no, no as you know).

Jordan Mattson                         UUCP:      jordan@apple.apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.                   CSNET:     jordan@apple.CSNET
Development Tools Product Management   AppleLink: Mattson1
20525 Mariani Avenue, MS 27S
Cupertino, CA 95014
408-974-4601
			"Joy is the serious business of heaven."
					C.S. Lewis

mahboud@kinetics.UUCP (Mahboud Zabetian) (07/20/89)

I had that problem and it turns out to be caused by TOPS.  Reboot without TOPS
and that may solve your problem.

Standard Disclaimer:  Don't mind me, I'm just babbling.
     Mahboud Zabetian	 (415) 975-4511		mahboud@kinetics.com
Kinetics, A Division of Excelan
    1340 Treat Blvd, Suite 500		...!ucbvax!mtxinu!kinetics!mahboud
   Walnut Creek, CA 94596
Woke up in my clothes again this morning, I don't know exactly where I am....
					--- Sting