[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Shut down

alistair@minster.york.ac.uk (07/19/89)

I want to perform a Shut Down (as if the corresponding entry
had been selected from the Special menu in the Finder) from
within an application. I can't find anything on that in Inside
Mac. Can anyone give advice or tell me where to look, please?

There is a good reason for wanting to do this, and not just
quitting my application and using the special menu. My
application is designed for use by blind people - the Finder
is not.

Alistair Edwards		| Janet: alistair@uk.ac.york.minster
Department of Computer Science	| phone: (UK) (0904) 432775
University of York		|	 (international) +44 904 432775
Heslington, York		|
England YO1 5DD			|

han@Apple.COM (Byron Han) (07/21/89)

Try V-585 to V-590 in Inside Macintosh - "The Shutdown Manager"

Hope this helps.
| Disclaimer: Apple has no connection with my postings.                       |
Byron Han, Communications Scapegoat   At Apple, we change the world everyday.
Apple Computer, Inc.                  -----------------------------------------
20525 Mariani Ave, MS27Y              Internet: han@apple.COM
Cupertino, CA 95014                   UUCP:{sun,voder,nsc,decwrl}!apple!han
------------------------------------  GENIE:BYRONHAN   CompuServe:72167,1664
ATTnet: 408-974-6450                  Applelink:HAN1   HAN1@applelink.apple.COM

jpd00964@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (07/22/89)

> I want to perform a Shut Down (as if the corresponding entry
> had been selected from the Special menu in the Finder) from
> within an application.

Have you checked out IM V-587.  They give the traps needed.

Michael Rutman
Softmed

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (07/23/89)

In article <227700014@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> jpd00964@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>> I want to perform a Shut Down (as if the corresponding entry
>> had been selected from the Special menu in the Finder) from
>> within an application.
>
>Have you checked out IM V-587.  They give the traps needed.

Unfortunately, these just shut down the machine, without any consideration for
other running applications. Only by selecting the options from the Finder
menu will the other applications be politely exitted, giving them a chance to
save documents, dictionaries, configurations, etc.

INTERNET: keith@apple.com
"Argue for your Apple, and sure enough, it's yours" - Keith Rollin, Contusions

svc@well.UUCP (Leonard Rosenthol) (07/24/89)

In article <33397@apple.Apple.COM>, keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) writes:
> In article <227700014@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> jpd00964@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
> >
> >> [wants to shutDown machine from software]
> >  [suggestiong to see the ShutDown managet]
>
> Unfortunately, these just shut down the machine, without any consideration for
> other running applications. Only by selecting the options from the Finder
> menu will the other applications be politely exitted, giving them a chance to
> save documents, dictionaries, configurations, etc.

	On page 586 of IM V it says that 'if Switcher is running, an
_ExitToShell is called exiting Switcher and returning control to the Finder'
	It was my understanding, given the comments on pg. 586 of IM V about
Switcher, that the ShutDown Manager would call each currently running
application and give them a chance to 'shut down' before going on and dealing
with drivers, mounted drives, etc.
	If it does not, it certainly gives the impression of doing so - well
at least under System 7.0 we can send a message to the Finder to 'ShutDown'.
Boy isn't IAC neat :-)

Leonard Rosenthol        |  GEnie : MACgician
Lazerware, inc.          |  MacNet: MACgician
UUCP: svc@well.UUCP      |  ALink : D0025