[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Re^2: Prototyper

kingman@tci.UUCP (Matt) (07/24/89)

hildreth@cg-atla.UUCP (Lon Hildreth) writes:

>I spent some time with Prototyper the other day.  When I was drawing my
>first dialog, I got a Bus Error.  Twice.  If you don't give a dialog the
>right name when you create it, it can't be changed.  I accidently created
>a dialog as a window.  There's no way to change its window type.  I had
>to delete it and redraw the entire dialog contents.  When I canceled out
>of the Load Resource dialog, it bombed with an Illegal Instruction.
>I cannot recommend a product that crashes as often as Prototyper does.  For
>whatever it's worth, I was running it on IIcx.  Mayber it's friendlier on
>other machines.  If it weren't for the crashes, it would be a nice prototyping
>environment.  I would not use the generated code, though.  But it allows you
>to run a prototype without having to compile anything.

I use Prototyper quite extensively and have had several problems with version
2.0 crashing, although the crashes are few and far between.  Just the other
day, I received version 2.1 and it seems much better.  I've run it successfully
on a Mac II, IIx, IIcx, and SE/30.

You can rename and change the types of dialogs or windows easily.  Just open
your dialog or window, and select "Window Info..." (cmd-W) from the Special
menu.  You are then presented with a dialog that allows you to change the
window name as well as the type while preserving all dialog items.

I use prototyper mainly for laying out user interfaces.  It's great for getting
a quick idea what your program will look like, or for whipping-up a quick demo
for others to see.  I would also NOT use the generated code, mainly because it
tends to be very inefficient.  In the code generator, I usually check the box
for "resources only" and write my own code.  At $149 (MacConnection price,
$259 retail), if you're designing UIs, I think Prototyper is a usefull tool,
but it needs to be developed considerably more to be considered a CASE tool.

I have no affiliation with any of the aforementioned companies/products, just
an opinion......