[comp.sys.mac.programmer] LEX & YACC for MPW C 3.0

lance@hermix.UUCP (Lance Ellinghouse) (07/21/89)

I am looking for LEX and YACC tools for MPW C 3.0. Anyone have any ideas?

I need them FAST!

Thanks,

--
Lance Ellinghouse
Mark V Systems, Ltd.

cc4b+@andrew.cmu.edu (Christopher Brian Cox) (07/23/89)

(something bounced your mail back, so I'll try replying to the board)

I don't know of any pre-built Lex/Yacc tools, but GNU's Bison and Flex
are really easy to port.  I made a port to LSC in about 3 hours yesterday.
That's both of them and a simple Mac interface.  Using MPW's command line
interface should take less time.
Also, Flex and Bison are faster than the Berkley code
(which is a pain to port, I tried), and more flexable.

Chris

ps. If you don't already know, they are available for Anon FTP from
gatekeeper.dec.com 128.45.9.52         16.1.0.2  /pub/GNU

earleh@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Earle R. Horton) (07/23/89)

In article <302@hermix.UUCP> lance@hermix.UUCP (Lance Ellinghouse) writes:
>I am looking for LEX and YACC tools for MPW C 3.0. Anyone have any ideas?
>
>I need them FAST!

     On sumex-aim.stanford.edu, in the directory "/info-mac/source/c,"
you will find "bison.hqx" and "flex.hqx."  These are ports of GNU
Bison, a yacc emulator, and Vern Paxson's flex, a fast lex emulator.
I did the port with MPW C 2.0.2, the tools work fine under version 3.0
of the MPW Shell, and the generated code should be portable enough to
withstand any enhancements Apple has made to the C compiler.

     For those without internet access, a self-addressed stamped
mailer and a formatted 800k floppy sent to the address below, along
with a note describing what you want, will get you sources and
binaries to both tools.

Earle R. Horton
23 Fletcher Circle
Hanover, NH 03755

instone@bgsuvax.UUCP (Keith Instone) (07/24/89)

From article <302@hermix.UUCP>, by lance@hermix.UUCP (Lance Ellinghouse):
> I am looking for LEX and YACC tools for MPW C 3.0. Anyone have any ideas?
>
> I need them FAST!

If you want to spend a lot of money, you can get MACYACC 2.0
from Abraxas Software. It generates ANSI C source and comes
with Apple MPW (no documentation) and an early version of their
MACLEX. Also included are complete grammars and such for several
flavors of C, ISO Pascal, dBase III, Smalltalk-80, HyperTalk, and
more. And all for only $395. (^;

Disclaimer: I am not associated with Abraxas in any way. Just
a customer.

Keith Instone   instone@andy.bgsu.edu   ...!osu-cis!bgsuvax!instone
Department of Computer Science      Bowling Green State University
                      "Who's he? Nobody!!"