[comp.sys.mac.programmer] THINK C 4.0 Upgrade Question

ra_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (07/27/89)

If you have a registered copy of THINK C ( a.k.a. LSC) 2.x, but have not
upgraded to 3.x, can you upgrade directly to 4.0?  How much would that cost?

Robert
------
ra_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu
------
generic disclaimer: all my opinions are mine

ra_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (07/27/89)

In article <4663@tank.uchicago.edu>, I wrote...

>If you have a registered copy of THINK C ( a.k.a. LSC) 2.x, but have not
>upgraded to 3.x, can you upgrade directly to 4.0?  How much would that cost?

Well, I finally got through to Symantec customer service (not too hard once
they answered the phone, but it rang a _lot_ :->).

Anyway, according to the very polite person I spoke to on the phone, it only
costs $69 to upgrade from 2.x to 4.0, same as it costs to upgrade from 3.x.  Is
this right??  If so, that's a _really_ good deal!  Way to go Symantec!

Robert
------

siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) (07/27/89)

In article <4663@tank.uchicago.edu> ra_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:
>If you have a registered copy of THINK C ( a.k.a. LSC) 2.x, but have not
>upgraded to 3.x, can you upgrade directly to 4.0?  How much would that cost?

	$69.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Rich Siegel
 Staff Software Developer
 Symantec Corporation, Language Products Group
 Internet: siegel@endor.harvard.edu
 UUCP: ..harvard!endor!siegel

"When it comes to my health, I think of my body as a temple - or at least
a moderately well-managed Presbyterian youth center." - Emo Phillips

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

cc4b+@andrew.cmu.edu (Christopher Brian Cox) (07/27/89)

How about the policy on people who happened to purchase LSC 3.x two days before the 4.0 announcement was made?
I personally will not be very happy if Symantec says I have to shell out another $69 for a 48 hour mistake.

Chris

(Yes Rich, my registration is sent in.  I mailed it about 3 hours before I read your post on 4.0)

In article <wYncubu00hcq05HGoq@andrew.cmu.edu> cc4b+@andrew.cmu.edu (Christopher Brian Cox) writes:

>How about the policy on people who happened to purchase LSC 3.x two days before the 4.0 announcement was made?

	If you purchased 3.something less than a week before the announcement,
the upgrade price is $10,000,000.

	:-)

	If you purchased within some cutoff (a month? I'm not sure), the
upgrade is free.

R.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

lippin@sizzlean.berkeley.edu (The Apathist) (07/29/89)

Recently MAC.ROMOS@applelink.apple.com (Ian Hendry) wrote:
>Does 4.0 do anything about the 32K segment limit?  If the smart linker
>would not barf on 32K segments before it removed the unused code that
>would be cool too.  It is really annoying to have to hand cull my general
>libraries for just those routines that I am actually using so that I can
>fit the libraries in the segments that they would fit into anyway once the
>smart linker got at them.  The current implementation kind of defeats the
>purpose of libraries.

I don't think it's the segment size that's a problem here; it's the
library implementation.  I don't have a need for segments over 32K;
but I would like libraries that were.  So, let's have multi-segment
libraries.

I have another problem with libraries, or at least with included
projects: it's a pain to make and test changes.  It would be much
easier if more than one project could be open at once.  That, together
with using system 7's publish/subscribe mechanism (or something
similar) to track updates would make libraries far more useful to me.

					--Tom Lippincott
					  lippin@math.berkeley.edu

		"If it was so, then it would be,
		 and if it were so, then it could be,
		 but as it isn't, it ain't.  That's Logic."
					--Tweedledee

siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) (07/29/89)

In article <3212@internal.Apple.COM> MAC.ROMOS@applelink.apple.com (Ian Hendry) writes:
>Does 4.0 do anything about the 32K segment limit?  If the smart linker
>would not barf on 32K segments before it removed the unused code that

	When building non-applications, the smart linker will waive the
32K segment limit until the smartlink is done.

		--Rich