[comp.sys.mac.programmer] ResEdit interfaces

MAC.ROMOS@applelink.apple.com (Ian Hendry) (08/01/89)

> While we're talking about ResEdit, I have a question for everybody.  How
> many think ResEdit should just use SF{PutFile, GetFile} like everybody
> else?

If you want to use standard file for resEdit, I think it should be
optional (another new preference).  Maybe a pretty good idea.  Of
course, given resEdit's size and complexity, perhaps nifty new features
are not tops on the resEdit people's list of things to do.

I found in MPW, if you set up an alias for resEdit in your startup with
the full pathname:
alias resEdit '"hd:resEdit"'
then from MPW you can type "resEdit file1 file2 file3"
and resEdit will open those files (along with the windows resEdit normally
opens).  Note that the files must be in your current directory or you must
specify a pathname.  Together with StdFile interface, this would be very
nice.  When you launched resEdit from MPW, only those files you wanted
would open, resEdit would not have to scan the directories and build the
lists of files.  This would be especially cool if you maintained a shell
variable or file with every project that was a list of resource files
associated with that project.  You could then type (or make an alias for)
"resEdit projectResourceFiles,"  or some such, that would open all the
resource files for that project.

If you do something like this I've found that my old practice of including
the version number in resEdit's filename (eg. ResEdit 1.2) is a pain
because you have to change you MPW startup every time you get a new
version.  Better to just call resEdit "resEdit".

Ian Hendry
MAC.ROMOS@applelink.apple.com
Put my name in the subject of any e-mail, or post replies to network.
TE: 408-974-4737

Disclaimer:  It was all HIS idea anyway!  Nothing I say reflects anything
my employer means... or anything I mean for that matter.

roland@dna.lth.se (Roland Mansson) (08/05/89)

In article <3266@internal.Apple.COM> MAC.ROMOS@applelink.apple.com (Ian Hendry) writes:
>If you do something like this I've found that my old practice of including
>the version number in resEdit's filename (eg. ResEdit 1.2) is a pain
>because you have to change you MPW startup every time you get a new
>version.  Better to just call resEdit "resEdit".

Try to add line like
   addmenu Run "ResEdit" '`files -r -f -s -t APPL -c RSED "{Utils}"`'
or
   alias resed '`files -r -f -s -t APPL -c RSED "{Utils}"`'
to your UserStartup (Utils is the path to your folder with ResEdit).

It locates resedit when you issue the command; if you modify it
a litte it will instead locate resedit when mpw starts up. It is
a matter of taste (i.e. if you like to wait for mpw or resedit
to start).

--
Roland Mansson, Lund University Computing Center, Box 783, S220 07 Lund, Sweden
Phone: +46-46107436   Fax: +46-46138225   Bitnet: roland_m@seldc52