[comp.sys.mac.programmer] 3 questions : apple.apple.com, CD ROMS, CD ROM docs

james@utastro.UUCP (James McCartney) (08/08/89)

1: I cannot seem to succeed in ftp'ing to apple.apple.com, I always get
Connection timed out. I can ftp anywhere else. I want to get the CD
Validator program.

2: I am trying to read a CD ROM that apparently doesn't conform fully to
the ISO spec. The top level folders are visible, but attempting to open them
via the Finder gives 'File/Folder is missing.' attempts to open them via a
program using pathnames of files which I know to be in the folders are also
unsuccessful.
   If anyone has a machine readable copy of the ISO spec and can send it to
me I would greatly appreciate it. Otherwise an address where I can obtain the
spec would also help.

3: Where is the CD driver documented? I may have to access the driver directly
to read this CD. I don't find a reference to the CD in IM.

--- James McCartney

zben@umd5.umd.edu (Ben Cranston) (08/09/89)

In article <4167@utastro.UUCP> james@utastro.UUCP (James McCartney) writes:
> 1: I cannot seem to succeed in ftp'ing to apple.apple.com, I always get
> Connection timed out.  I can ftp anywhere else.

apple.apple.com is a CNAME for apple.com at Internet address 130.43.2.2
I tried both ftp and telnet from here in Maryland, same problem, except
my software said "Host is unreachable".  Looks like the problem is at
Apple's end.
--
Sig     DS.L    ('ZBen')       ; Ben Cranston <zben@umd2.UMD.EDU>
* Computer Science Center Network Infrastructures Group

blob@apple.com (Brian Bechtel) (08/09/89)

In article <4167@utastro.UUCP> james@utastro.UUCP (James McCartney) writes:
> I want to get the CD Validator program.

I'll email you the latest version (1.10) since you're having trouble
accessing apple.com.

> 2: I am trying to read a CD ROM that apparently doesn't conform fully to
> the ISO spec. The top level folders are visible, but attempting to open
> them via the Finder gives 'File/Folder is missing.' attempts to open
them
> via a program using pathnames of files which I know to be in the folders
> are also unsuccessful.

See Technical note 209.  Generally, this means that the CD was pressed
without the Motorola-ordered pathtable, or that the parent directory
entries don't point back up the chain; instead, they point to garbage.
The CD Validator will help you find this problem.

>    If anyone has a machine readable copy of the ISO spec and can send it
> me I would greatly appreciate it. Otherwise an address where I can
obtain
> the spec would also help.

The following was recently posted on comp.peripherals:

] The "official" standard is ISO 9660, "Information processing --
] Volume and file structure of CD-ROM for informaton interchange."
] You can get it from Global Engineering Documents, 800-854-7175,
] or 714-261-1455.  The document is very pricey: $60 for 31 pages.
] Its also about as easy to understand as the tax code.

You can also try the International Organization for Standardization,
Geneva Switzerland.  Sorry, I don't have a more specific address.

> 3: Where is the CD driver documented? I may have to access the driver
> directly to read this CD. I don't find a reference to the CD in IM.

Drivers for storage media support the calls documented in the device
manager chapter of Inside Mac (volume 2, chapter 6.)  Of course, the CD
doesn't support write; but all the other calls listed there work.
Additional calls, mostly related to audio control, are documented in the
AppleCD SC Developer's Guide, available from APDA.

If you have specific questions, please email.  I wrote the High Sierra and
ISO 9660 support for the Macintosh.  Also, please let me know of CD-ROM
titles that don't conform to the ISO 9660 specification; we like to let
the publishers know, so that they can press correctly in the future.

--Brian Bechtel     blob@apple.com     "My opinion, not Apple's"