[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Hidden MultiFinder 6.1b7 messages

ra_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (07/25/89)

I got the following info from someone who went to MacHack:  supposedly if one
follows the following instructions, then you can see MF 6.1b7's "secret
messages".  I can't get it to work.  I don't see the proper hex at offset 2578
and I can't get to offset 7922 in CODE 2 (i.e, it doesn't go up that high).  I
was using ResEdit to try this.

(BTW, I have no idea if this will or will not work.  As I said, someone passed
it on to me from MacHack).

Any ideas?

In MultiFinder 6.1b7 change the following bytes.

This will activate the multifinder alternate aboutbox by Tab - SpaceBar

Resource Type = "CODE"  ID = 2

Original Offset 2578
		4A 2D FE AC 67 16 10 2D FE B0 B0 2D FE AE 66
		04 53 2D FE B0 4C DF 20 01 58 4F 4E 73
Hacked Offset 2578
		60 1A 10 38 01 7A 0C 00 00 03 66 04 53 6D FE
		B0 10 2D FE B0 60 04 4E 71 4E 71 4E 75

Original Offset 7922
		10 2D FE B0
Hacked Offset 7922
		4E BA EB 20

Robert
------
ra_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu
------
generic disclaimer: all my opinions are mine

mystone@caen.engin.umich.edu (Dean Yu) (08/03/89)

In article <4598@tank.uchicago.edu> ra_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:

>I got the following info from someone who went to MacHack:  supposedly if one
>follows the following instructions, then you can see MF 6.1b7's "secret
>messages".  I can't get it to work.  I don't see the proper hex at offset 2578
>and I can't get to offset 7922 in CODE 2 (i.e, it doesn't go up that high).  I
>was using ResEdit to try this.

  The offsets given are in decimal, not hex.  (Waytago, Allan!  ;)
Oh, yes it does work, and it's quit interesting.

Dean Yu                            | E-mail: mystone@{sol,caen}.engin.umich.edu
University of Michigan             | Real-mail: Dean Yu
Computer Aided Engineering Network |            909 Church St
===================================|            Ann Arbor, MI 48104
                                   | Phone: Given on a need to know basis, and
"I am the Merit Host.  I speak for |        only if you're going to offer me a
 the bitstream."  (In other words, |        job...
 these are my very own opinions;   |
 my employer wants to have nothing |===========================================
 to do with them, or me.)          |       This space available for rent

afoster@ogccse.ogc.edu (Allan Foster) (08/07/89)

In article <44cd20b9.129dc@blue.engin.umich.edu> mystone@sol.engin.umich.edu writes:

>>I got the following info from someone who went to MacHack:  supposedly if one
>>follows the following instructions, then you can see MF 6.1b7's "secret
>>messages".  I can't get it to work.  I don't see the proper hex at offset 2578
>  The offsets given are in decimal, not hex.  (Waytago, Allan!  ;)
>Oh, yes it does work, and it's quit interesting.

SOORRRRYYYYYY! Golly I just didn't think!  I cannot even recall why
I did that.  If I had it in Hex I would have posted it as hex.

I consider myself duly chastised and will include both Decimal AND Hex
in all my future patches.

Regards <Grin>
Allan Foster
Microhone II Development Team
--
Allan Foster      UUCP  : tektronix!ogcvax!afoster
UseNet: afoster@cse.ogc.edu      GEnie  : A.FOSTER

goldman@apple.com (Phil Goldman) (08/08/89)

In article <4112@ogccse.ogc.edu> afoster@ogccse.ogc.edu (Allan Foster)
writes:
> In article <44cd20b9.129dc@blue.engin.umich.edu>
mystone@sol.engin.umich.edu writes:

> >>I got the following info from someone who went to MacHack:  supposedly
if one
> >>follows the following instructions, then you can see MF 6.1b7's "secret
> >>messages".  I can't get it to work.  I don't see the proper hex at
offset 2578
> >  The offsets given are in decimal, not hex.  (Waytago, Allan!  ;)
> >Oh, yes it does work, and it's quit interesting.
>
> SOORRRRYYYYYY! Golly I just didn't think!  I cannot even recall why
> I did that.  If I had it in Hex I would have posted it as hex.
>
> I consider myself duly chastised and will include both Decimal AND Hex
> in all my future patches.

If you want a *real* challenge, try making it appear w/out benefit of
patching or MacsBug (or any other tool).  You can make it happen all by
your lone self, I promise.

-Phil Goldman
Apple Computer

Greg@AppleLink.Apple.Com (Greggy) (08/08/89)

writes:
> >  The offsets given are in decimal, not hex.  (Waytago, Allan!  ;)
>
> SOORRRRYYYYYY! Golly I just didn't think!  I cannot even recall why
> I did that.  If I had it in Hex I would have posted it as hex.
>
> I consider myself duly chastised and will include both Decimal AND Hex
> in all my future patches.

But Allan, what about Octal?  Or Binary?  What kind of hacker are you,
anyway?!

  + Greg Marriott               +                    AppleLink: Greg +
  + Just Some Guy               +                                    +
  + "My phone is always busy"   + Internet: Greg@AppleLink.Apple.Com +
  + Apple Computer, Inc.                                             +
  + 20525 Mariani Ave, MS-46z, Cupertino, CA  95014                  +
  + (408)974-busy                                                    +

mystone@caen.engin.umich.edu (Dean Yu) (08/08/89)

[Various articles about the hidden about box in MF 6.1b7]

In article <3393@internal.Apple.COM> goldman@apple.com (Phil Goldman) writes:
>If you want a *real* challenge, try making it appear w/out benefit of
>patching or MacsBug (or any other tool).  You can make it happen all by
>your lone self, I promise.
>
>-Phil Goldman
>Apple Computer

  But only if you have an ADB keyboard, if the rumours are to be believed...

tecot@Apple.COM (Ed Tecot) (08/09/89)

In article <3393@internal.Apple.COM> goldman@apple.com (Phil Goldman) writes:
>If you want a *real* challenge, try making it appear w/out benefit of
>patching or MacsBug (or any other tool).  You can make it happen all by
>your lone self, I promise.

Ooh!  What a set up!  Phil's right, but I'm going to provide this warning:
Save all your work before attempting this.  Others have been known to go
down in flames while searching for the about box.

							_emt