[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Problem with MPW Pascal & MacApp

d6maca@dtek.chalmers.se. (Martin Carlberg) (08/10/89)

HELP!!!

    I'm using MPW Pascal (3.0 final) & MacApp (b8.2) and have some problem

    I have a large program with many units and files. When I compile the
program I sometimes get the following error:
Error 114 Unsatisfied forward reference for type identifier: Txxxxx
    But when I compile with the Pascal option "noload" everythings works fine.
I'm getting tired of waiting for the compiler to compile with "noload".  (it
takes up to 30 min.)

    There was a simular problem in MPW b1, but I belive that was fixed.

    What can I do?  Anybody?

- Martin Carlberg
- Chalmers University of Technology, Gothenburg, Sweden

rick@Jessica.stanford.edu (Rick Wong) (08/11/89)

In article <532@mathrt0.math.chalmers.se> d6maca@dtek.chalmers.se (Martin Carlberg) writes:

>    I'm using MPW Pascal (3.0 final) & MacApp (b8.2) and have some problem
>
>    I have a large program with many units and files. When I compile the
>program I sometimes get the following error:
>Error 114 Unsatisfied forward reference for type identifier: Txxxxx
>    But when I compile with the Pascal option "noload" everythings works fine.
>I'm getting tired of waiting for the compiler to compile with "noload".  (it
>takes up to 30 min.)
>
>- Martin Carlberg
>- Chalmers University of Technology, Gothenburg, Sweden

I remember having a similar problem some time ago.  In my case, the
resource fork of one of my uses files had gotten trashed, so the
compiler wasn't able to read its saved symbol table info.  Try run-
ning the RezDet tool on all your uses files to see if any of their
resource forks are inconsistent.  If so, replace the bad files with
brand new files containing copies of the originals' text.

I have not run into this problem since I started compiling with the
-k option, which tells the compiler to save its symbol tables in
another folder, rather than the resource forks of your source files.

Rick Wong
rick@jessica.stanford.edu

peirce@claris.com (Michael Peirce) (08/11/89)

In article <532@mathrt0.math.chalmers.se> d6maca@dtek.chalmers.se (Martin Carlberg) writes:
>HELP!!!
>
>    I'm using MPW Pascal (3.0 final) & MacApp (b8.2) and have some problem
>
>    I have a large program with many units and files. When I compile the
>program I sometimes get the following error:
>Error 114 Unsatisfied forward reference for type identifier: Txxxxx
>    But when I compile with the Pascal option "noload" everythings works fine.
>I'm getting tired of waiting for the compiler to compile with "noload".  (it
>takes up to 30 min.)
>
>    There was a simular problem in MPW b1, but I belive that was fixed.
>
>    What can I do?  Anybody?
>
>- Martin Carlberg
>- Chalmers University of Technology, Gothenburg, Sweden

I've run into this (or something similar) often.  It *appears* that certain
type information gets cached and then isn't always maintained properly.  When
I run into this (usually after messing with object type definitions) I run
MABuild with the following option:

MABuild -pascal -clean MyProgram

This passes the -clean directive to the pascal compiler.  This instructs it
to throw alway its cached information and to reconstruct it from scratch.

Seems to work for me...

Claris Corp. | Michael R. Peirce